Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I export only edited photos? I want to keep all unedited photos in their original format. Must I do it all by hand??

I fear there's no hope. Hundreds are edited and thousands are unedited. So the goal is to:

1. Export all modified photos
  2. Keep all unmodified photos as HEIC a.k.a. "export unmodified originals" so I can save file space and quality.

The only solution I can think of is going through every single photos by hand to see if it's edited or not. Is there some other way to automate the process or am I just stuck in the Apple straight jacket?

Thank you for the help!

Posted on Jan 5, 2020 2:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2020 5:44 AM

Which version of Photos are you using? Here is another way, that will work only in the recent versions of Photos.

In Photos 4.0 on Mojave or 5.0 on Catalina you can use the filter to show only the edited items.

• Switch to the All Photos view.
  • Click the "Showing" filter in the upper right corner and set it to "Photo is Edited".

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2020 5:44 AM in response to SilverLobster

Which version of Photos are you using? Here is another way, that will work only in the recent versions of Photos.

In Photos 4.0 on Mojave or 5.0 on Catalina you can use the filter to show only the edited items.

• Switch to the All Photos view.
  • Click the "Showing" filter in the upper right corner and set it to "Photo is Edited".

Jan 6, 2020 4:43 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hi Terence, thank you for the help! While I was a little frustrated when making the straightjacket comment, I'm still a little bothered as to why Apple makes me jump through extra hoops to make sure I'm only converting the files that actually need converting. Now that Samsung phones also uses HEIC, meaning more format support on PC and web, I think Apple should be less aggressive in format changes when doing a mass export.

Still, I really appreciate the help. Thank you.

How do I export only edited photos? I want to keep all unedited photos in their original format. Must I do it all by hand??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.