Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to close documents in Preview?

Hi,

When I try to close docs in Preview (by clicking the red button / command + W) - these docs stay open (I can see them when I right-click on Preview icon).

Is there an option to close these documents in some way?

Thanks,

Gal.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 5, 2020 2:08 AM

4 replies

Jan 5, 2020 5:59 AM in response to galrapo

If you click on that red traffic light, Preview appears to close the document and disappear from the Dock. But, it remains running as a background process. Some applications can be written to close a document, and gracefully terminate a process when clicking that red traffic light — but most, including Preview are not written that way.

You should use the File menu : Close Selected Image, followed by the File menu : Quit (or ⌘-Q). If you have multiple documents open in Preview, then use the option key modifier, and choose File menu : Close All. Then quit the application as previous.

If you follow the second paragraph, Preview will not be left running in the background, and all of your opened documents in Preview will be properly closed.

How to close documents in Preview?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.