Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot delete or edit some Contacts in iCloud.

I am having problems with an iPhone 5c administered via a Windows 10 PC.

The Contacts on the iPhone are synchronised with iCloud and any changes to most of them are reflected on both devices.

However iCloud shows six additional contacts, which appear to be duplicates containing old information, but are not shown on the iPhone. These additional contacts cannot be deleted or edited. If I try to delete them they return a short while later. If I try to edit them I get a message stating;

Couldn't save changes to 'Contacts Name'. Your changes to this contact couldn't be saved because it was just updated by another device.

None of those Contacts show on the iPhone and no other device is synchronised with iCloud. All of the Contacts shown on the iPhone can be edited or deleted and changes are reflected on iCloud. I have no Groups set up on either the iPhone or iCloud just All Contacts.

It is just the additional six Contacts only on iCloud that cannot be deleted or edited. How can I get rid of them?

Posted on Jan 5, 2020 5:57 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Jan 7, 2020 3:11 PM in response to pine man

Hey pine man,

If I understand correctly, there are contacts only appear on the iPhone, and they can delete, but they return shortly after because they were updated by another device.

When you say it is administered via a Windows 10 PC, are you syncing the iPhone to the PC?

Are you trying to delete the contacts from iCloud.com?

Are you using iCloud for Windows?

1. "Choose the features and content that you want to keep up to date across your devices.

2. Click Apply."

Set up and use iCloud for Windows

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Have a good one.

Jan 8, 2020 5:27 PM in response to pine man

Hi pine man,

Thanks for the update. Since they are not seen on the iPhone, but are in iCloud, and iCloud syncs the contacts across all of the devices, try turning Contacts off in the iPhone settings and turn them back on to see if they appear on the iPhone.

"On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1. Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud. 
  2. Turn on Contacts."

Keep your contacts up to date on all of your devices with iCloud

Please don't hesitate to let us know if the steps resolved your issue or if you need additional assistance.

Cheers.

Jan 8, 2020 12:33 AM in response to jeremy_v

Hi Jeremy

My iPhone is synchronised with iCloud on my PC.

No other devices are synchronised with iCloud on my PC.

I am using iCloud for Windows on my PC and it is set up correctly.

I am trying to delete the Contacts in iCloud.

On my iPhone there are 34 Contacts, which are backed up to, and shown correctly, on iCloud. Any changes to these 34 Contacts are are reflected correctly in both the iPhone and iCloud.

iCloud shows the 34 Contacts correctly from my iPhone BUT also shows an additional 6 Contacts which are NOT shown on the iPhone. These additional 6 Contacts shown ONLY on iCloud CANNOT be deleted or edited.

If I try to edit the additional 6 Contacts in iCloud I get the message:- Couldn't save changes to 'Contacts Name'. Your changes to this contact couldn't be saved because it was just updated by another device.

There are NO other devices synchronised with iCloud.

All I want to do is get rid of the additional 6 Contacts in iCloud.

Thanks.

Cannot delete or edit some Contacts in iCloud.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.