Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac photo backup

Helllo

So I have recently upgraded from iphone 6s to iphone X, however I noticed that when I take a photo on my iphone X ..it DOES backup to the icloud but is not showing in the photos app on the Mac.

It was working fine before so I am not sure what has changed. My old iphone 6s is still sigined in with my Apple ID.

I noticed on the photos app on my Mac that the iCloud option was not enabled under prefereces. However when I try to enable it, it wants to upload all my photos from my Mac to the cloud even though they are already in the cloud, it started to do this and has started to create duplicates...

How can I like my Mac to Icloud without it trying to sync all my existing photos thus creating thousands of duplicates?

Posted on Jan 5, 2020 7:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2020 9:09 AM

However when I try to enable it, it wants to upload all my photos from my Mac to the cloud even though they are already in the cloud, it started to do this and has started to create duplicates...

Any time the iCloud Library is turned off/disabled on a Mac and then turned back on there's a syncing so that the Photos on your Mac is compared to those in iCloud and any new photos are then uploaded or downloaded depending on where they are originally. There's no way around it.

So we'll have to be patient while the comparison takes place and finishes.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2020 9:09 AM in response to psheraton

However when I try to enable it, it wants to upload all my photos from my Mac to the cloud even though they are already in the cloud, it started to do this and has started to create duplicates...

Any time the iCloud Library is turned off/disabled on a Mac and then turned back on there's a syncing so that the Photos on your Mac is compared to those in iCloud and any new photos are then uploaded or downloaded depending on where they are originally. There's no way around it.

So we'll have to be patient while the comparison takes place and finishes.

Mac photo backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.