Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't get my head around photo backup

Sorry if this is such common sense, but this is what I am trying to solve:

1/ I've been used to transferring my photos from my iPhone to Photos App on my MacBook and then Timemachining to back up.

2/ Recenly I think I have set up for photo backup which when I log into cloud through my browser, I can see there are photos there but not a mirror image of the ones from my Photos App on my MacBook?

All I want to do is :

1/ Take a photo on my iPhone and for it to instantly push to the cloud and I can access on all my devices and for these to be backed up so I don't have to worry about losing the photos?

2/ When I add to my Photos App on my MacBook, it again, backs up to the cloud?

3/ When I remove from my photos it removes them from icloud

essentially, trying to move away from using a local backup process?

Any Ideas?

Posted on Dec 29, 2021 6:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2021 7:06 AM

Here is why...

The problem with iCloud for photos (and files if you use iCloud drive) is it makes all the libraries across all the devices the same. While it does protect you from a drive failure - it doesn't protect you from accidental deletion. If you delete photos on your phone, they are deleted on your mac, and from iCloud - same if you delete on your mac - they'll be deleted on your phone. There have been rare cases of system failure also causing deletions (or just user error). There are also numerous examples of library corruption making it very difficult to access photos.

Every few days we get someone here saying "I deleted photos - how can I get them back". If it was more than 30 days ago (or they’ve been manually removed from recently deleted), and there is no other backup, the answer is "you can't"

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2021 7:06 AM in response to Yer_Man

Here is why...

The problem with iCloud for photos (and files if you use iCloud drive) is it makes all the libraries across all the devices the same. While it does protect you from a drive failure - it doesn't protect you from accidental deletion. If you delete photos on your phone, they are deleted on your mac, and from iCloud - same if you delete on your mac - they'll be deleted on your phone. There have been rare cases of system failure also causing deletions (or just user error). There are also numerous examples of library corruption making it very difficult to access photos.

Every few days we get someone here saying "I deleted photos - how can I get them back". If it was more than 30 days ago (or they’ve been manually removed from recently deleted), and there is no other backup, the answer is "you can't"

Dec 29, 2021 9:44 AM in response to iamthecount

Essentially yes - but you can still use iCloud to keep your devices synced.

Once you feel your library is getting too large for your macbook, you need to think about keeping it (or part of it) on an external drive. From where you are now, you can think about and prepare for when you get there.

For example: I run two libraries. I pay for 200GB of iCloud, and have a "main" library holding all my recent photos, that is synced with iCloud and resides on my system drive. All these photos are available on all my devices. Currently I have 1 1/2 years of photographs there, taking up less than half of my iCloud space. (This dual library strategy is equally valid if you don't use iCloud but just want a smaller local library stored on your mac)

I also have an archive library which holds everything older. It is on a separate drive (correctly formatted and prepared - see link below). I use powerphotos to periodically copy photos from my main library to my archive library.

I am very very rigorous about backups. Both libraries are backed up to time machine. In addition both libraries are regularly copied to a second external drive. Finally I periodically export all original images (so that I have the actual image files separately from the photos library) and copy those to a network drive backup. I have a copy of these stored away from home also (mitigate risk of fire/theft).

Can't get my head around photo backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.