Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 2019

I received my new Mac Pro and I notice that the SSD/hard drive configuration is different than what was described online and in technical presale discussions over the phone:

There appears to be just a single 2TB SSD installed instead of two 1TB SSD discs which is more conducive to my workflow.

Does anyone know if this is a RAID0 setup? It does not appear as such in disk utility so I do not understand what is going on or how to get 2 drives to appear instead of one single 2TB drive.

Mac Pro, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 5, 2020 11:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2020 10:34 PM

Hello all,

I received this followup message from Apple tech support today which confirms Malcolm's notes about the T2 chip and gives a bit more info:

I found out you in fact have 2 SSDs and they are keyed by the T2 chip in your Mac as 1, this why we only see 1 when we look anything up, because they are keyed you can not just remove just one and replace it, you need to replace both of them together by Apple, so if you wanted more SSD room you’d need to replace both of these, or, purchase and install PCIe SSD drives into your machine.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2020 10:34 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hello all,

I received this followup message from Apple tech support today which confirms Malcolm's notes about the T2 chip and gives a bit more info:

I found out you in fact have 2 SSDs and they are keyed by the T2 chip in your Mac as 1, this why we only see 1 when we look anything up, because they are keyed you can not just remove just one and replace it, you need to replace both of them together by Apple, so if you wanted more SSD room you’d need to replace both of these, or, purchase and install PCIe SSD drives into your machine.

Jan 5, 2020 5:42 PM in response to gtaffet

The other possibility is that this is a documentation/production problem.

Perhaps they originally intended the 2G configuration to have two SSD arrays, but exactly that model ended up being cheaper or faster or better with just one, and they made a change in the production model, but did not get the update into the final documentation.

Jan 5, 2020 7:28 PM in response to gtaffet

There was a last minute change to double the maximin storage, so that may have changed the number of modules used for all configurations.

No matter how many modules, Disk Utility is only going to show one drive. Everything is handled by the T2 chip, so whether multiple modules are just concatenated or used in RAID 0 will not show in macOS except possibly higher speed with RAID 0.

If you need to, you can partition it.

Mac Pro 2019

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.