Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 2019 SSD

My disk utility is only showing 1 2TB SSD. I was told there were supposed to be 2 1 TB SSD's. Where are they located? I cannot find them. I just bought this Mac Pro and am unfamiliar with it. Did they come with just one 2TB SSD? This Mac is totally different from any Mac I ever had. The Tech Spec on the Apple website shows 2 SSD's, but the build label on the box shows 2 TB SSD, which is what I have: that being 1 SSD. Totally confused.

Mac Pro, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 27, 2021 8:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2021 6:47 AM

straycat23 wrote:

My disk utility is only showing 1 2TB SSD. I was told there were supposed to be 2 1 TB SSD's. Where are they located? I cannot find them. I just bought this Mac Pro and am unfamiliar with it. Did they come with just one 2TB SSD? This Mac is totally different from any Mac I ever had. The Tech Spec on the Apple website shows 2 SSD's, but the build label on the box shows 2 TB SSD, which is what I have: that being 1 SSD. Totally confused.

In your 2TB SSD case there are 2 x 1TB NAND chip blades that are combined by the T2 chip to form a RAID 0 2TB SSD in your case. You will not see the individual 1TB blades in the DiskUtility application but only the resulting 2TB SSD.

From the Apple 2019 Mac Pro White paper, https://www.apple.com/mac-pro/pdf/Mac_Pro_White_Paper_Feb_2020.pdf.

"

Internal SSD

Mac Pro is based on an SSD storage architecture and is configurable from 256GB up to 8TB of internal storage. With the exception of the single-module 256GB SSD, each SSD capacity is implemented through two Apple NAND modules of half the total capacity that are interleaved together to form a single volume. For example, a 4TB SSD is comprised of two 2TB modules and are cryptographically paired to the unique Apple T2 Security Chip in each Mac Pro.

"

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2021 6:47 AM in response to straycat23

straycat23 wrote:

In your 2TB SSD case there are 2 x 1TB NAND chip blades that are combined by the T2 chip to form a RAID 0 2TB SSD in your case. You will not see the individual 1TB blades in the DiskUtility application but only the resulting 2TB SSD.

From the Apple 2019 Mac Pro White paper, https://www.apple.com/mac-pro/pdf/Mac_Pro_White_Paper_Feb_2020.pdf.

"

Internal SSD

Mac Pro is based on an SSD storage architecture and is configurable from 256GB up to 8TB of internal storage. With the exception of the single-module 256GB SSD, each SSD capacity is implemented through two Apple NAND modules of half the total capacity that are interleaved together to form a single volume. For example, a 4TB SSD is comprised of two 2TB modules and are cryptographically paired to the unique Apple T2 Security Chip in each Mac Pro.

"

Mac Pro 2019 SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.