Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Emptying Trash

I recently moved multi-GB data from my back-up drive to the trash; my back-up drive is very slow. Deleting from the trash is taking forever (several hours per backup files and I have over 75 of them to delete). What is the quickest way to delete back-up files from the trash?

Posted on Jan 6, 2020 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2020 9:10 AM

If you attempted to delete Time Machine files via Finder, they will always get stuck in the Trash. If you disconnect your external drive you will notice the files are no longer in the Trash but if you then reconnect the external drive they will appear again. The easiest and fastest way to sort it is to reformat the external drive.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2020 9:10 AM in response to thomasfromellsworth

If you attempted to delete Time Machine files via Finder, they will always get stuck in the Trash. If you disconnect your external drive you will notice the files are no longer in the Trash but if you then reconnect the external drive they will appear again. The easiest and fastest way to sort it is to reformat the external drive.

Emptying Trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.