Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trash emptying lots of files, how long will this take?

I am using Time Machine to back up on a G Drive device. For days I've been getting messages that there isn't enough room to back up, so I deleted a folder from several weeks ago. It is taking FOREVER to delete these files in the Trash. Progress is happening—it's up to "204,900 items deleted (1,075,000 and counting items inside Library)"—yikes! How long is this going to take? I have no way of knowing the total, and I certainly don't want this to be deleting forever. Is there some way to just eliminate the literally hundreds of thousands of files? Thank you

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 27, 2021 12:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2021 3:24 PM

Boot into Safe Mode by booting with the Shift key held down and try erasing the disk from there.  Then reboot normally.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2021 3:24 PM in response to JCTest

Boot into Safe Mode by booting with the Shift key held down and try erasing the disk from there.  Then reboot normally.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Feb 27, 2021 2:12 PM in response to JCTest

Is this a folder from the Time Machine drive? Like one of these:

If that's the case you've gotten into a situation that the only way out is to erase the Time Machine drive with Disk Utility and start over again.

Time Machine deletes older backups automatically when it needs additional space for new backups. You'll get that out of space warning if you don't have enough room on your boot drive to create "local snapshots". How much free space do you have on your boot drive?

Feb 27, 2021 2:29 PM in response to Old Toad

I have absolutely no idea. All I want is for the Trash to finish deleting all these files. I don't know how to reformat my Time Machine but the earlier responder provided some YouTube links as to how to do that. I'm wondering if I erase the Time Machine Drive if all those files I want to just go away will do so. But I guess I can try Disk Utility as well, as you mention. thank you.

Feb 27, 2021 2:43 PM in response to Old Toad

OK I see that--and the amount of space being used is, of course, decreasing because the Trash is trying to delete things. Are you saying that Disk Utility>G Drive (external hard drive)>Erase will take care of this and stop the whole Trash process in one fell swoop? I don't care about losing the backups at this point. Thank you!

Feb 27, 2021 3:16 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks. Unfortunately the Disk Utility>Erase function failed because the Finder (aka Trash) has it "in use." So I suppose another option is for me to command the Trash to stop emptying and then try to use the Disk Utility. Or I guess I just wait for the Trash to finish emptying. It's certainly progressing, it's just taking all day to complete. But thank you so much for your help and advice!

Feb 27, 2021 4:06 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks much to those who attempted to help—you did with some good info—and as it happened, the Trash finally finished emptying! I don't know if my G Drive will work now, and I don't know why it stopped eliminating backups to make room for others, but my next move might be figuring out how to exclude certain things in backups that are already saved to the Cloud to keep this from happening??? Anyway, thank you!

Trash emptying lots of files, how long will this take?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.