Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is a Macbook Air 2014 still good in 2020?

I am planning to buy a used Macbook Air for college but don't know if I should get a 2014 one.

MacBook Air

Posted on Jan 6, 2020 9:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2020 6:18 AM

Also, where are you planing to buy it from. Apple has Refurbished Macs that come with a 1 year warranty just like new.

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/mac

Buying from a third party can be a gamble. We see posts here everyday of folks who have bought from the internet only to find the Macs have not been prepared properly for sale including being locked by the previous owner or still having the previous owners Apple ID, which is useless to the new owner.

See this topic and be sure the owner has followed the instructions.

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2020 6:18 AM in response to kian277

Also, where are you planing to buy it from. Apple has Refurbished Macs that come with a 1 year warranty just like new.

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/mac

Buying from a third party can be a gamble. We see posts here everyday of folks who have bought from the internet only to find the Macs have not been prepared properly for sale including being locked by the previous owner or still having the previous owners Apple ID, which is useless to the new owner.

See this topic and be sure the owner has followed the instructions.

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Jan 7, 2020 6:57 AM in response to kian277

You should ask him to upgrade to Catalina to test. But after he follows the steps to sell it, it will revert to the OS it originally shipped with and you'll need to upgrade it from there. Unless he follows the procedure it will be tied to his Apple ID and you will not be able to upgrade or purchase anything from the AppStore. When you get the Mac it should boot as new into the Setup Assistant so you can enter your own information including Apple ID and create your own Admin user account.

Jan 7, 2020 11:38 AM in response to kian277

I have a 2012 and it's still pretty perfect, albeit not heavily used for anything other than documents like excel, word, numbers, pages, email, music. No movie making, etc. It's kept free of junk mail and any extraneous programs, etc. I back it up everyday.

I think of it as I have the money I would have spent in my pocket in caseI need it. When the time comes, i.e. it's crashed, I'll get a new one and load my back-up drive onto it. And then I'll have the latest.

Hope this helps you decided either way. After all, there's nothing nicer than a new Apple laptop!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.