Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 2011 - logic board replacement programme

I had a message from Apple to bring my MBP in for a free logic board replacement a few years ago. It was all sorted and returned and has ben working fine ever since.

My question is : does anyone know what replacement logic board would Apple have dropped in my laptop. I'm assuming it wouldn't be of the same type/age (2011) so would it be a much later one? (what year or type etc?)

This is mainly as Apple have now rendered my MBP 'obsolete' and I'm wondering if I can still go with OS Catalina if the actual insides are still 'under age' so to speak!

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.12

Posted on Jan 7, 2020 6:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2020 7:16 AM

Your 2011 computer is obsolete or vintage, Vintage and obsolete products - Apple Support

Your computer was not upgraded to a new year because your logic board was replaced. newer model logic boards do not necessarily fit into older model computers.

Similar questions

6 replies

Jan 7, 2020 4:24 PM in response to Designer Gav UK

Designer Gav UK wrote:

can still go with OS Catalina if the actual insides are still 'under age' so to speak!

2012 is the cutoff for MBP—your 2011 does not have the Metal-capable GPU hardware.

macOS Catalina - Technical Specifications - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP803?locale=en_US

MacBook: Early 2015 or newer

MacBook Air: Mid 2012 or newer

MacBook Pro: Mid 2012 or newer

Mac Mini: Late 2012 or newer

iMac: Late 2012 or newer

iMac Pro

Mac Pro: Late 2013 or newer; Mid 2010 or Mid 2012 if upgraded with a recommended Metal-capable GPU

Jan 7, 2020 3:40 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

I was led to think that the logic board for 2011 back then had problems etc... surely Apple wouldn’t replace it like-for-like 4 years later? It would be one currently in stock therefore as it has fitted correctly, it would be the same as fitted in a MBP for that period.

i’m just trying to get confirmation and find out exactly which logic board is installed now.

Jan 7, 2020 4:24 PM in response to Designer Gav UK

<<... surely Apple wouldn’t replace it like-for-like 4 years later? >>

That is EXACTLY what they did, except that the one they removed had a problem, and the one they installed had that problem fixed.

It is still a 2011 model, and is still supported to run 10.13 High Sierra without any issues.

There are some hobbyist hacks that can allow it to run most features of later versions, but they are strictly "use at own risk, including risk of 'brick'-ing your Mac".

Jan 8, 2020 6:20 AM in response to Designer Gav UK

You understand correctly.

But all the "stuff" that needs to change is on the logic board. Your logic board, even if replaced four years later, has the same components of every other 2011 MacBook Pro like it.

Logic boards are custom made for each model year. Ones from a different year are unlikely to fit, unlikely to work properly, and unlikely to cool themselves properly. Changing to a different model logic board is not commonly even attempted.

Macbook Pro 2011 - logic board replacement programme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.