Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Library/Group Containers takes too much disk space

Recently I started getting these warnings about insufficient disk space. After analyzing my disk with DaisyDisk I found out that the one of the major reasons is the following directory: /Users/<username>/Library/Group Containers/<hash>.duck/Library/Application Support/duck/Cache where I have dozens of roughly equal directories from about 900 to 300 MB in size in total occupying 86Gb. Since the names of the directories are meaningless it's impossible to identify the apps they belong to, but being placed under Cache they sound like something disposable. My question, basically, is: can I safely delete the entire directory of should I keep the structure and/or data intact? Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 7, 2020 11:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2020 12:35 PM

Finally I've got a reply from Mountain Duck support.

Here's a quote:

"The cache that you are referring to is the synchronization cache of Mountain Duck. The cache gets so big because it can't delete itself automatically.

You can delete the sync cache by deleting the folders Sync and Cache out of the application support folder. You can reach the application support folder by navigating to ~/Library/Group Containers/<hash>.duck/Library/Application Support/duck/.

Caution: Please make sure that all your files are successfully synchronized as all files that aren't successfully synchronized will be lost afterward.

Unfortunately, there isn't any way to limit the sync cache size. If you don't need the offline features of the Smart Synchronization mode you can switch to the Online mode which doesn't create the sync cache. You can switch to the Online mode either globally within the Mountain Duck preferences Sync tab or only for a specific bookmark within the bookmark configuration window of that bookmark."

So that clarifies my question and if anyone encounters the same issue I hope this thread could be helpful. Thanks peter_watt and dialabrain for your help and useful clues which helped me realise who was the culprit in this story.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2020 12:35 PM in response to Smile @rT

Finally I've got a reply from Mountain Duck support.

Here's a quote:

"The cache that you are referring to is the synchronization cache of Mountain Duck. The cache gets so big because it can't delete itself automatically.

You can delete the sync cache by deleting the folders Sync and Cache out of the application support folder. You can reach the application support folder by navigating to ~/Library/Group Containers/<hash>.duck/Library/Application Support/duck/.

Caution: Please make sure that all your files are successfully synchronized as all files that aren't successfully synchronized will be lost afterward.

Unfortunately, there isn't any way to limit the sync cache size. If you don't need the offline features of the Smart Synchronization mode you can switch to the Online mode which doesn't create the sync cache. You can switch to the Online mode either globally within the Mountain Duck preferences Sync tab or only for a specific bookmark within the bookmark configuration window of that bookmark."

So that clarifies my question and if anyone encounters the same issue I hope this thread could be helpful. Thanks peter_watt and dialabrain for your help and useful clues which helped me realise who was the culprit in this story.

Library/Group Containers takes too much disk space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.