Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use of portable hard drive

I have just bought a 5T portable hard drive to hold my Photos libraries which are getting too big for my iMac. Can I also use it for the Time machine backup? Being 5T it should be heaps big enough.

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 7, 2020 4:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2020 4:36 PM

Yes you can, but it is a bad idea because you will lose your photos and backups if the external drive ever goes belly up. A better idea is to uses two external drives, one for your Photos Library and one for backups.

5 replies

Jan 7, 2020 4:25 PM in response to ianfromweetangera

Yes, you can do this. But you should let Time Machine have its own space where it will be undisturbed and you won't likely do some "accidental damage" to the backups.backupdb folder or the files within.

Perhaps the best way is to partition your new large drive as two volumes, one for you data and one for TM to use. Give TM plenty of room to grow, maybe 2-3TB, and se the rest for your data.

You can partition the drive using Disk Utility.

Then open System Preferences > Time Machine and configure TM to use the partition that you created for it.

Use of portable hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.