Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 16 restarting itself on wake

Fairly often when my mac is closed in sleep mode, the system will restart itself rather than go straight to the login screen. This seems to be the issue from my log:

10:53:43.713836+0000 powerd SMC shutdown cause: 5: Software initiated shutdown

10:53:44.353228+0000 powerd hibmode=0 standbydelaylow=0 standbydelayhigh=0

10:53:44.353260+0000 powerd Failure during sleep: RP17(IOBufferCopyController AppleSEPManager AppleANS2Controller) : Some drivers failed to handle setPowerState

Any help would be appreciated

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jan 9, 2020 3:45 AM

9 replies

Jan 12, 2020 11:18 AM in response to luckylegionN7

Hi luckylegionN7, 

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. 

I see that you have an issue with your Macbook Pro 16 restarting itself on wake. I would recommend that you do a couple of resets for this issue. Start by resetting the SMC. Here's How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Test to see if this resolves the issue. If it does not, then reset the NVRAM. This article gives instructions on how to Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

If neither reset resolves the issue, I would recommend running Apple Diagnostic on your Mac and check to see if you get any errors. Here’s how to How to use Apple Diagnostics on your Mac - Apple Support

Compare the results you get with these codes here: Apple Diagnostics: Reference codes - Apple Support

Reach back out with any questions. 

Cheers!

Feb 2, 2020 2:16 PM in response to fbroess

I have the same issue. Won't properly wake if you let it fully sleep (30+ minutes or so).

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250991137

Common error you'll have in the report it shows:

PowerPlay Failed to Initialize

It's either the hardware or Catalina or a mix (hardware drivers). It is not 3rd party software. People are getting this problem with clean system installs, nothing migrated over. Apple likely does not know what is causing the problem just yet, so they are going to run through their normal tests until they ultimately give up and have to say it's "hardware".

I'd like to hear from people who don't have this problem, so we can try to isolate it further.

Feb 25, 2020 5:05 PM in response to changethursday

Also mine isn't checked.

So, I've the same problem here.

Almost every time I turn on the mac this happens.

This is my post on Apple:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251149476

And this is what happen to my MacBook Pro 16":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-XfgE9SWj0

It's very frustrating because I've tried all reset included ssd format but nothing with success.

I haven't nothing more to try, hope Apple fix.

Jan 27, 2020 6:49 PM in response to jeremy_v

Having the exact same issue. In my case the error read as: GPU Panic. I've restarted the NVRAM plus installing MacOS Catalina fresh from network mode, unplugging any connected device, closing all the background apps - none of these helped..

I've run the diagnostic and the report came back with code: ADP000 which from what I understand means the hardware is ok.

Haven't tried the SMC restart, will give it a try tonight.

I've been scheduled an appointment with the genius bar over the weekend, but this is really frustrating, and I am learning more and more that my case seems to be one of many.

I love the new MacBook Pro 16', but it is extremely disappointing to face those issue from Apple. I would expect higher levels of QA from this company.

I found this article as well on Medium:

https://medium.com/@UrAvgDeveloper/my-2019-16inch-macbook-pro-is-dead-59874018748f

Jan 28, 2020 8:48 AM in response to nahumyamin

[update]

I've tried the SMC restart, didn't help..

I even erased my hard drive, installed a fresh copy of Catalina from the internet recovery option and the issue still remain..

The only thing that worked was booting the computer in safe mode, which I am not sure if it's confirming that the issue is not with the hardware but with the software or what..

Confused and frustrated. Not cool Apple..

Macbook Pro 16 restarting itself on wake

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.