Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home sharing only works with my AppleID?

So I want to be clear on this. In order for a family member to listen to music from one of my machines using Home Sharing, I need to sign into her iPad with my Apple ID. We cannot make it work otherwise?

Seems to me if I sign into her iPad with my ID, thus eliminating her Apple ID, then her iPad becomes mine.

Is it just me, or doesn't that defeat the purpose of Home Sharing? Am I missing something here?

Posted on Jan 9, 2020 8:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2020 9:02 AM

Home Sharing is for a single user to share their media across multiple computers and devices on the same local network. It is unrelated to Family Sharing which is used to share purchased content only. Simple network sharing can be used to share over a network between computers. I cannot recall if iOS devices can see simple shares, but I suspect not. With Home Sharing you can copy content from one library to another, with simple sharing you have playback only, but different users can be signed into different Apple IDs.

tt2

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2020 9:02 AM in response to kfrost

Home Sharing is for a single user to share their media across multiple computers and devices on the same local network. It is unrelated to Family Sharing which is used to share purchased content only. Simple network sharing can be used to share over a network between computers. I cannot recall if iOS devices can see simple shares, but I suspect not. With Home Sharing you can copy content from one library to another, with simple sharing you have playback only, but different users can be signed into different Apple IDs.

tt2

Home sharing only works with my AppleID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.