Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fusion drive split?

Hello,

I just factory reset my imac. I first deleted 2 pations HD and Hd data in disk utility. Then I reinstalled macOS Catalina. I got a choice when installing, what disk do you want to install on, HD or HD data? I chose HD data. Now when I look at storage I see two similar disks, exact same size but with different names. Is this a split fusion drive?

Posted on Jan 9, 2020 10:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2020 6:35 PM

Yep. That's APFS partitioning doing its magic. All is well, my friend. 👍🏽

Macintosh HD is a read-only system data partition. It's used exclusively by the OS.

Macintosh HD - data is the partition where your user account and data reside. All the user accounts and their associated personal data live on this drive.

It's all good.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2020 6:35 PM in response to BDAqua

Yep. That's APFS partitioning doing its magic. All is well, my friend. 👍🏽

Macintosh HD is a read-only system data partition. It's used exclusively by the OS.

Macintosh HD - data is the partition where your user account and data reside. All the user accounts and their associated personal data live on this drive.

It's all good.

Fusion drive split?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.