Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installation of extra RAM

I have a iMac 2019, 27" with 8 GB RAM (2x4GB). Is it possible to install extra 2x8GB in the empty slots or do all modules have to be the same size?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 9, 2020 11:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2020 11:45 AM

Maybe I can help you...hans@ konrad.dk....

according to Apple you have 4 memory slots, which take SO-DIMMS. with the following specs:

PC4-21333, unbuffered, nonparity, 260 pin, 2666Mhz DDR4 SDRAM. It says the Maximum memory is 64 GB , 4 x16 GB

DIMMS, and Base Memory is 8 GB, 2 x4 gb DIMMS, so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. I'm guessing they'd like you to install it in same-size pairs, eg, you probably couldn't have a 4 gb dimm and an 8 gb dimm in the other slot.

Other than that, apart from cost, you are good to go

OWC (*macsales.com* says you can install up to 128 gigs in it, but that's $648 USD, plus tax and shipping, so I'd have to say no on that one....64 gb is $280 plus tax and shipping which is more reasonable)....anyways, you don't live in the USA so your prices will be different.... I just used that as a comparison)

john b

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2020 11:45 AM in response to hans@konrad.dk

Maybe I can help you...hans@ konrad.dk....

according to Apple you have 4 memory slots, which take SO-DIMMS. with the following specs:

PC4-21333, unbuffered, nonparity, 260 pin, 2666Mhz DDR4 SDRAM. It says the Maximum memory is 64 GB , 4 x16 GB

DIMMS, and Base Memory is 8 GB, 2 x4 gb DIMMS, so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. I'm guessing they'd like you to install it in same-size pairs, eg, you probably couldn't have a 4 gb dimm and an 8 gb dimm in the other slot.

Other than that, apart from cost, you are good to go

OWC (*macsales.com* says you can install up to 128 gigs in it, but that's $648 USD, plus tax and shipping, so I'd have to say no on that one....64 gb is $280 plus tax and shipping which is more reasonable)....anyways, you don't live in the USA so your prices will be different.... I just used that as a comparison)

john b

Installation of extra RAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.