Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't seem to open any older saved version of a numbers document that I use regularly. Where should I start?

I was in a fog for awhile due to the loss of a close family member, and I believe I allowed Numbers/all updates to occur without thinking much about it. I've finally gotten back into my head enough to work on some ongoing projects, and suddenly I cannot open any version of a document I use regularly. I recall noticing it looking different, and not knowing how to solve it, and I believe in my frustration I just quit the program and left it for another day. Now I cannot open it at all. I read most of the post, but didn't notice anything that would work. Ideas?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 9, 2020 6:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2020 11:24 PM

" I read most of the post, but didn't notice anything that would work. Ideas?"

"the post"???

Your issue appears to have some similarity to one often reported in the days after an OS update to macOS Catalina—loss of ability to open Nunbers (and Pages) documents.

One suggestion that had many 'that solved it' replies was to restart the computer.

A followup suggestion in cases where that restart was not successful in clearing the issue was to do a restart into safe mode.

To do a 'Safe mode" startup:

• If the computer is shut down: press the power button or key

If the computer is running, choose Restart from the Apple menu

• As soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold the shift key
  • Keep shift pressed until you see the apple logo and a progress bar below it on the screen,then
  • release the key and let the startup process finish.

Every startup (including restarts) of the computer triggers a set of housekeeping routines.

A "safe mode" startup runs a larger set of these routines, and omits starting some sections of the OS and its support software.

Because of the extra housekeeping, the "safe mode" startup takes longer than a regular startup. You will also see a degradation in video performance in "safe mode". This is normal.

When the "safe mode' startup has completed, restart the computer again, this time omitting the use of the shift key (ie. a normal restart).

Launch Numbers and attempt to open the problem document(s) again.

Regards,

Barry

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2020 11:24 PM in response to debs313

" I read most of the post, but didn't notice anything that would work. Ideas?"

"the post"???

Your issue appears to have some similarity to one often reported in the days after an OS update to macOS Catalina—loss of ability to open Nunbers (and Pages) documents.

One suggestion that had many 'that solved it' replies was to restart the computer.

A followup suggestion in cases where that restart was not successful in clearing the issue was to do a restart into safe mode.

To do a 'Safe mode" startup:

• If the computer is shut down: press the power button or key

If the computer is running, choose Restart from the Apple menu

• As soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold the shift key
  • Keep shift pressed until you see the apple logo and a progress bar below it on the screen,then
  • release the key and let the startup process finish.

Every startup (including restarts) of the computer triggers a set of housekeeping routines.

A "safe mode" startup runs a larger set of these routines, and omits starting some sections of the OS and its support software.

Because of the extra housekeeping, the "safe mode" startup takes longer than a regular startup. You will also see a degradation in video performance in "safe mode". This is normal.

When the "safe mode' startup has completed, restart the computer again, this time omitting the use of the shift key (ie. a normal restart).

Launch Numbers and attempt to open the problem document(s) again.

Regards,

Barry

I can't seem to open any older saved version of a numbers document that I use regularly. Where should I start?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.