Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Drive on iMac | Catalina stuck uploading

iCloud Drive works fine on my Windows 10 box with the latest updates as does Files on my iPhones with the latest iOS.

What's up with that? How do I fix it? Restarting doesn't seem to help.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 9, 2020 7:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2020 9:31 AM

Thank you for that Reply.

I had previously unchecked all iCloud services except Desktop and Downloads. I tried unchecking that too, but it warned that all documents stored on iCloud would be removed from this Mac. So I did the sensible thing and chickened out. iCloud remained stuck uploading files.

What worked in my case after that was to:

• open System Preferences (from the Apple menu),
  • click on Apple ID (upper right),
  • click on Overview (top of left pane), then
  • click the Sign out button (lower left in right pane)

I don't recall what messages came up when I signed out, but when I signed back in, it asked if I wanted to add some of the iCloud services I previously unchecked. That seemed to work.

Then horror of horrors -- all my Desktop files were removed from the local Desktop!. Turns out they were in my home folder in a folder named "iCloud Drive (Archive)" along with my Documents folder and several other folders.

My iCloud Drive is now working as expected.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2020 9:31 AM in response to Francis Drouillard

Thank you for that Reply.

I had previously unchecked all iCloud services except Desktop and Downloads. I tried unchecking that too, but it warned that all documents stored on iCloud would be removed from this Mac. So I did the sensible thing and chickened out. iCloud remained stuck uploading files.

What worked in my case after that was to:

• open System Preferences (from the Apple menu),
  • click on Apple ID (upper right),
  • click on Overview (top of left pane), then
  • click the Sign out button (lower left in right pane)

I don't recall what messages came up when I signed out, but when I signed back in, it asked if I wanted to add some of the iCloud services I previously unchecked. That seemed to work.

Then horror of horrors -- all my Desktop files were removed from the local Desktop!. Turns out they were in my home folder in a folder named "iCloud Drive (Archive)" along with my Documents folder and several other folders.

My iCloud Drive is now working as expected.

Jan 10, 2020 6:34 AM in response to Francis Drouillard

My case is for windows, but maybe the same story for Mac

to push upload task try to open tray icon:

then click cancel in following window:

normally during upload files are generating there:

and you can see upload tasks in db:

and in logs:

Actual file path can is different depend on OS username, etc.

It helped me when it stuck many times during upload of many photos back from timecapsule to icloud

(thousand files, include live photo also).

I found it by myself :)

iCloud Drive on iMac | Catalina stuck uploading

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.