Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloaded movie won't play on iPad Pro

I rented and downloaded 2 movies on my iPad Pro from within the iTunes Store. Went on a plane and watched one of them fine. About 10 days later went on another plane and tried to start the other movie and got an error message something like "The video can't be played because you do not have access to it or it is no longer available."

Restarted the iPad multiple times, and the app, tried it through the iTunes store and the TV app, always same issue. Still happening several days later. Shows fully downloaded with the checkmark icon and "15 days left."

Then I updated to iOS 13.3 and now when I try to play it, it just spins on a black screen with the playback bar at the bottom. No error message.

This has happened to me in the past. I can't believe that these types of bugs still exist with Apple software. I can't rent a movie and trust that it will play when I'm stuck on an airplane for 5 hours.

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 9, 2020 7:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2020 7:26 PM

Hello,

You will need to call Apple for assistance.

Contact AppleCare

4 replies

Jan 9, 2020 8:04 PM in response to sRunk

Hey everybody, I deleted the entire TV app on my iPad including all media. Then I downloaded the app again fresh. Then I went to iTunes Store on the iPad and I had to rent the movie again because it forgot I had rented it before. Rented it, downloaded it, went to play it...SAME ERROR MESSAGE!

"This video can't be played because you don't have access to it or it's no longer available."

I feel like I'm losing my mind.

Jan 9, 2020 8:06 PM in response to sRunk

OK that first movie that failed was Judy. Now I rented and downloaded Joker and get the SAME ERROR.

These absurd bugs drive me crazy. I can't possibly be the only person in the world who can't watch rented videos on their iPad. It's just an iPad. I haven't, like, gone in and fiddled with it or something.

Downloaded movie won't play on iPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.