Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Purchased, downloaded movies won't play

I downloaded some movies that I had purchased from iTunes onto my iPad Mini 6. When I tap on them to play them, the screen opens and there's a little wheel spinning around at the time line at the bottom, but the movie never starts. I closed this and all the other apps and restarted my iPad, but the problem is still there. I'm connected to WiFi when I do this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

iPad mini 6 Wi-Fi

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 2:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2021 6:39 AM

Hi. Thanks, but restarting my iPad didn't help.

After two hours of chatting yesterday with an Apple support rep we didn't find a solution.

Then today, I found out by accident what the problem was: I needed to be logged in to the Apple TV app on my iPad with the Apple ID I had used to buy the movies I wanted to watch. I'm logged in to my iPad with my regular ID, but that doesn't matter.

I didn't even know that I had to log in separately to the Apple TV app.

I wish the Apple support rep had known about this. Oh well, "live and learn" as they say.

Maybe this is helpful for someone else with the same problem.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2021 6:39 AM in response to bailier

Hi. Thanks, but restarting my iPad didn't help.

After two hours of chatting yesterday with an Apple support rep we didn't find a solution.

Then today, I found out by accident what the problem was: I needed to be logged in to the Apple TV app on my iPad with the Apple ID I had used to buy the movies I wanted to watch. I'm logged in to my iPad with my regular ID, but that doesn't matter.

I didn't even know that I had to log in separately to the Apple TV app.

I wish the Apple support rep had known about this. Oh well, "live and learn" as they say.

Maybe this is helpful for someone else with the same problem.

Dec 15, 2021 5:31 AM in response to NotAnExile

Hello NotAnExile,

Thanks for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If we understand correctly, you are unable to play purchased movies on your iPad. We can understand why you'd reach out for a solution.

In addition to the article you tried, let's see if force restarting your iPad will help.

Restart your iPad

Force restart iPad

If iPad isn’t responding, do one of the following:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On other iPad models: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

Cheers!

Purchased, downloaded movies won't play

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.