Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error message installing upgrade to Mojave.

I am getting this error message when trying to update my OS to Mojave: "This copy of the Install macOS Mojave application is damaged, and can't be used to install macOS." This error message is on the Apple site. I'd like to update to Mojave instead of Catalina. Does anyone know of a solution for this? Thank you!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.12

Posted on Jan 9, 2020 7:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2020 7:52 PM

Over time Apple stops signing older macOS installers. This error is what you see when you try to use the unsigned installer to perform an upgrade. You should delete it, and then try seeing if you can download it again from the Apple App Store.

Alternatively, you can review the following article on another method to get the correct installer for macOS Mojave:

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2020 7:52 PM in response to ljr7

Over time Apple stops signing older macOS installers. This error is what you see when you try to use the unsigned installer to perform an upgrade. You should delete it, and then try seeing if you can download it again from the Apple App Store.

Alternatively, you can review the following article on another method to get the correct installer for macOS Mojave:

Jan 9, 2020 9:51 PM in response to ljr7

Look in your Applications folder for Install macOS Mojave.app, what size is it, it should be, 6.05GBs.

If it is just go ahead with the install.

If you are considering upgrading to Catalina be warned that it does not support 32bit apps.

Your Mac is probably running 32bit apps and these will need to be updated to 64bit apps,

some updates may be free, some may be paid. Use this app to discover which apps you have

are 32bit, https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/. Once the list has been created you can then

contact the developers of the apps to see if they provide 64bit updates. 

How to upgrade to macOS Catalina – Apple Support

Jan 9, 2020 9:24 PM in response to Tesserax

Thanks for the quick response. I used the "How to upgrade" page to try to download the upgrade. I deleted the previous partially downloaded upgrade. When I went to the link it did start downloading the upgrade this time but when it got to the end it gave me the same error message. I might just go straight to Catalina. I'm a bit wary of upgrading to a brand new OS but it seems like going to upgrading Mojave won't work. I'm currently running 10.12.6. Any issues you are aware of going straight from Sierra to Catalina?

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond!

Error message installing upgrade to Mojave.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.