Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error message when trying to install macOS Catalina ("This copy of the Install...application is damaged...)

I'm trying to install macOS Catalina (in place of Mojave) on my MacBook Pro. When I download the OS from the Apple store I get the error message "This copy of the Install macOS Catalina application is damaged, and can't be used to install macOS". Fixes?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 13, 2022 11:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2022 6:10 PM

If a reboot doesn't help, then try booting into Safe Mode which prevents third part software from launching automatically during boot & login. See if Safe Mode allows you to get the installer.

You may want to run Disk Utility First Aid on the hidden Container in case the file system is damaged. Withing Disk Utility you may need to click "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the hidden Container appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. Even if First Aid says everything is "Ok", click "Show Details" and scroll through the report to see if any unfixed errors are listed. If there are any unfixed errors, then you will need to erase the drive and reinstall macOS and restore from a backup. Erasing the drive destroys all data on the drive.

Otherwise, it may indicate you have a hardware issue of some sort (memory, hard drive/SSD).

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2022 6:10 PM in response to Jimbo_Baggins

If a reboot doesn't help, then try booting into Safe Mode which prevents third part software from launching automatically during boot & login. See if Safe Mode allows you to get the installer.

You may want to run Disk Utility First Aid on the hidden Container in case the file system is damaged. Withing Disk Utility you may need to click "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the hidden Container appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. Even if First Aid says everything is "Ok", click "Show Details" and scroll through the report to see if any unfixed errors are listed. If there are any unfixed errors, then you will need to erase the drive and reinstall macOS and restore from a backup. Erasing the drive destroys all data on the drive.

Otherwise, it may indicate you have a hardware issue of some sort (memory, hard drive/SSD).

Nov 13, 2022 5:42 PM in response to Niel

This actually seems to have solved the problem that had prompted me to want to upgrade my OS in the first place (Firefox 105.0.3 not loading new URLs). When I rebooted the computer, my old Firefox started working again. So no need to get the newer version of Firefox, and the new OS it would require. Whew! (for as long as this honeymoon period lasts, anyway). Good reminder to always reboot, before doing something more drastic.

Error message when trying to install macOS Catalina ("This copy of the Install...application is damaged...)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.