Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes "Back Up Now" button greyed out

Hey guys, I do my iTunes backup daily but today, out of the blue, both the "Back Up Now" and "Restore Backup" button are greyed out... The storage is also uncategorized... Please have a look at this image:

I tried to:

1. Restart PC

2. Force restart iPhone

3. Uninstall iTunes completely and reinstall by following this guide...

4. Tried the iTunes.exe /setPrefInt DeviceBackupsDisabled 0 CMD command

5. Tried on 2 different Windows 10 laptops

6. Tried different lightning cables for both laptops and my desktop

I tried contacting Apple Support but they told me to visit them so their technician could check on the device, but I just wanna know if anyone else has any other methods I could try before bringing it down...

Thank you

iPhone XS Max, iOS 12

Posted on Jan 9, 2020 8:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2020 9:16 PM

Followed that article already but still the same, the buttons are still greyed out...

4 replies

Jan 13, 2020 12:36 PM in response to wolnavi

Hey wolnavi,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! I understand you're unable to backup your iPhone as the option to do so is grayed out in iTunes. I know how important being able to backup your information is, and I'm happy to help.

I recommend taking a look at the steps in the link below. These go over some great steps to take when you run into issues with backing up or restoring from a backup.

If you can't back up your iOS or iPadOS device to a computer or restore it from a backup

Thanks again, and have a great day!

Jan 17, 2020 9:34 AM in response to wolnavi

Hey wolnavi,

Next be sure that you've trusted the computer with this article:

About the 'Trust This Computer' alert on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If that does not work, updating the device would be the next suggestion we have:

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Thanks for taking the time to work through those steps and following up with us. I definitely want to make sure you continue to get the best support to get this resolved. With that in mind, please reach out here: Contact Support

Cheers!

iTunes "Back Up Now" button greyed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.