Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari will not delete Cookies & websites data...

I will appreciate some help to find the solution....

My son iMac (27inch, late 2012

Processor 3.4 GHz Quad - Core intel Core i7

Memory 32 GB 1600 MHZ DD3

System Mac OS Catalina 10,15,2

Safari v. 13.04

When Mojave was installed in the iMac the problem started

We upgraded to Catalina 10.15 then 10.15.1 and now 10.15.2

In the old versions of the systems and Safari old versions this problem was present after all the upgrades is still the same without change.

The problem is: Safari will not delete cookies and Websites data.

Under SAFARI MENU you can see in the picture down.... "Clear History" is in Grey.

If I open "Safari Preferences"and click on "Privacy" and then down in "Manage Website Data" I got a long list that I can not delete with "REMOVE" not wirh "REMOVE ALL" even if I select some or all of them.

My son uses the iMac very little since he use his iPad also but we have not be able to remove this long and growing list of cookies and Websites data.

I have tried to find the answer in this community and applied some solutions as........

Quit Safari

GO to Library/ Safari / Databases / _IndexedDB and delete its contens.

Then Library / Safari / Local Storage and delete its contens.

After this I open Safari and test ...... not Change at all.

The screenshots shows what Safari show me before I try and after I have tried, same pictures.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 10, 2020 1:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2020 6:37 AM

Hi dominic23

You wrote.........."Some of the Extensions can be found in Safari's extension folder Safari > Preferences > Extensions."

I see that we are not on the same wavelength. I told you that the Safari extensions mentioned by ETRECHECK were not in my Safari / preferences / extensions, I also publish a screenshot on that folder, so this not helpful. My problem was I could not find in my HD any of the extensions mentionedvby ETRECHECK and I could not find the Webdata and history Safari was showing and I could not delete or how to get them out of Safari.

........"I wouldn't install Kaspersky and Bitdefender on my Mac for sure. I would uninstall these two anti-virus software and test."

Do not worry about this, I have one of them installed for years now in both computers and NEVER been in any situation to make me change my mind about it. This antivirus has nothing to do with Safari problem.

I can assure you now that my problem was solved. It has something to do with iCloud and the updates from Catalina 10.15 - 10.15.1 - & 1015.2 All this files like History-Cookies and website data were not in my HD but were in iCloud and and in a way there was not communication when I try to delete all the history and Web data.

As I told you in my last post, I did a Clean Install of Catalina, since it was my son's iMac and there was not more of 80 GB total of data including the System, so I copied all his documents, pictures, videos and more, to a memory stick, same with the programs not from the system, then I deleted-format the HD and Clean Install Catalina downloaded from Apple Store.

After setting up the iMac and with iCloud, accounts and Preferences settings I put back his stuff and now I have to install again the extra programs that don't belong to the system......ahhh......when I open Safari, after setting iCloud, there were all the bookmarks, the history and web data, I delete everything from Safari/Preferences/Private also from History (long List) now History is not blocked in gray and Safari is working perfect.

As you can see, I found the solution myself and I explain here to you in case someone else may have the same problem and this time you will know how to advise without trying find the solution by elimination.

Now I learn something new but I am not able to start giving advice about things I do not understand.

Thanks very much dominic23, Nothing you wrote to me was HELPFUL but you tried.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2020 6:37 AM in response to dominic23

Hi dominic23

You wrote.........."Some of the Extensions can be found in Safari's extension folder Safari > Preferences > Extensions."

I see that we are not on the same wavelength. I told you that the Safari extensions mentioned by ETRECHECK were not in my Safari / preferences / extensions, I also publish a screenshot on that folder, so this not helpful. My problem was I could not find in my HD any of the extensions mentionedvby ETRECHECK and I could not find the Webdata and history Safari was showing and I could not delete or how to get them out of Safari.

........"I wouldn't install Kaspersky and Bitdefender on my Mac for sure. I would uninstall these two anti-virus software and test."

Do not worry about this, I have one of them installed for years now in both computers and NEVER been in any situation to make me change my mind about it. This antivirus has nothing to do with Safari problem.

I can assure you now that my problem was solved. It has something to do with iCloud and the updates from Catalina 10.15 - 10.15.1 - & 1015.2 All this files like History-Cookies and website data were not in my HD but were in iCloud and and in a way there was not communication when I try to delete all the history and Web data.

As I told you in my last post, I did a Clean Install of Catalina, since it was my son's iMac and there was not more of 80 GB total of data including the System, so I copied all his documents, pictures, videos and more, to a memory stick, same with the programs not from the system, then I deleted-format the HD and Clean Install Catalina downloaded from Apple Store.

After setting up the iMac and with iCloud, accounts and Preferences settings I put back his stuff and now I have to install again the extra programs that don't belong to the system......ahhh......when I open Safari, after setting iCloud, there were all the bookmarks, the history and web data, I delete everything from Safari/Preferences/Private also from History (long List) now History is not blocked in gray and Safari is working perfect.

As you can see, I found the solution myself and I explain here to you in case someone else may have the same problem and this time you will know how to advise without trying find the solution by elimination.

Now I learn something new but I am not able to start giving advice about things I do not understand.

Thanks very much dominic23, Nothing you wrote to me was HELPFUL but you tried.

Jan 10, 2020 2:21 AM in response to arore

Launch Safari holding the Shift key down.

Enable Develop menu. Use the developer tools in the Develop menu in Safari on Mac ...

Click "Develop" in the Safari menubar and then "Empty Caches" twice.

Clear history, if you don't mind. Clear your browsing history in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Try deleting Databases and Local storage.

Please read. https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/prevent-cross-site-tracking-sfri40732/13.0/mac/10.15

Jan 10, 2020 4:31 AM in response to arore

Thanks.

Please try few of the standard troubleshooting steps.

Startup in Safe Mode   https://support.apple.com/lv-lv/HT201262

Repair Disk (Storage device).    https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/repair-a-storage-device-dskutl1040/mac

With newer versions of macOS, we cannot remove existing Safari.plist file easily.

Clearing history is the closest one we have for resetting Safari and that is grayed out.

I would run Etrecheck and see if there is interference from third party software or not

https://etrecheck.com

Click “Free Download” button,  open Downloads folder, click on it to open, and then select ”Open”.

Click on the bouncing  EtreCheck icon in the Dock.

“Choose a problem” from the popup menu box, and then “Start EtreCheck” in the dialog.

Scroll the sidebar up and click "Report". Read it. Perhaps it may offer a clue like an extension or adware.

Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” .

Paste it into the reply if you wish.

Jan 12, 2020 3:30 AM in response to arore

Some of the Extensions can be found in Safari's extension folder.

Safari > Preferences > Extensions.

I wouldn't install Kaspersky and Bitdefender on my Mac for sure.

I would uninstall these two anti-virus software and test.

"Do you think I can reboot in RECOVERY and use the Disk utility there to delete and format the HD and the use

INSTALL Mac OS ? or are there any other way to do this?

Sure you can. But before nuking system software, try removing those two applications.

How to uninstall Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac

How to uninstall Kaspersky Internet Security 18 for Mac

Another approach would be adding another Administrator account on the same Mac and go from there.

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

Jan 11, 2020 11:38 PM in response to dominic23

Thank you dominic23 for all your Help.

Here I show you the only part in ETRECHECK, is showing some extensions in Safari dated 2018 This is not correct when I open Safari/Preferences/extensions ( the actual window screenshot I published in my first Post, you can see it there).

I have tried by all means to find where in the HD are these Safari Extensions no showing in the computer now. Etrecheck is not pointing to them either.

Do you know any terminal way to find them and then deleting them and see if these are causing Safari behavior?

If you know how, Please advise.

I have to tell you that I have done everything you advised me, some of your advices were very basic and some new to me. I did them all over again just to make sure. Nothing have changed. The stupid behavior of Safari is on still and the list of History and web data is growing and growing.

Your advice is to find the solution by elimination, starting with the most basic and then more complex tests to see if any of this solves the problem.

You will understand that any of us appreciate the advice but we put more price when who is trying to help, understand the causes of the problem, especially if you have previously provided help and have had solutions and thus acquired the experience and know the steps to follow without experiments .

I have checked in Communities history about this kind of Safari Behavior and I have found some post from you, some of them some years old and those people at the time did not solved this kind of Safari problem

Now I have decided to use the last extreme solution which is to format the complete HD on my son's iMac and Install the Catalina System new up to 10.15.2. I have taken copies of his Documents, videos, pictures and any new program not Apple installed there so I can put then back after formatting and make a clean install.

Do you think I can reboot in RECOVERY and use the Disk utility there to delete and format the HD and the use INSTALL Mac OS ? or are there any other way to do this?

I hope you do not feel offended and help me with these last questions before I proceed to format the HD.

Jan 10, 2020 3:49 AM in response to dominic23

Thanks dominic23 for your reply.

I used the developer tools twice to Empty Caches. I did this many times after I tried all the solutions I found when I checked on this community about this subject before posting for help her.

The opción "prevent cross site tracking" is on in Safari/Preferences/ Privacy, also I clicked on "block all cookies' in the same place, then I quit Safari and test all the solutions again to see any change.

What I see is the same as the screenshots I posted in my first post: Safari Menu under "Safari'' the option "Clear History'' remains gray and when I open ''History'' in Safari menu at the top, I see a long list which I can not delete single or in group and the option "Clear History " to the right of that list is also GRAY and does not works

It is strange to me, I have my own iMac 27" 2017 mod. with the same Catalina Mac OS 10.15.2 and I do not have the same issue and every seams OK with Safari using it many hours everyday. So I cross check all the settings in Safari between both iMacs and they are the same but Safari is not working the same in my son iMac.

I re-installed the last upgrade to get a new re-install of Safari in the iMac with Safari problem but..... Not solution.

Jan 10, 2020 5:05 AM in response to dominic23

Thank you again dominic23.

Tomorrow I will try EtreCheck, I have in my iMac, the last version.

About the others solutions you ask me to try, there are very basic and I have tried before they make not difference .

Now is getting late here and we, the family have to go out with diner with some friends so tomorrow I will continue this searching and testing. I will let you know what happen after.

Jan 12, 2020 5:25 AM in response to arore

Ridding of Temporary Internet Files:

Are you able to rid of these Temporary Internet Files using Kaspersky? If so, Kaspersky has probably taken over your options in Safari. Security Software just gets in the way on a Mac, and this would be a pure example of why.

If you uninstall the Security Software, you might be just fine. To uninstall it, use the Uninstaller provided by the developer. Dragging-and-Dropping its icon to the Trash will not completely rid of it, as caches from the program will still reside.

Also, try another browser. Does it work then. Download Mozilla Firefox from the Apple Store, and see if you can still delete it.

Safari will not delete Cookies & websites data...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.