Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ls : operation not permitted

Hi,

Since upgrading to Catalina 10.15.2, I am unable to do "ls ~/Documents", with an xterm I open through XQuartz :

> /bin/ls ~/Documents

ls: Documents: Operation not permitted

1) The command works with the apple terminal app, but not with the XQuartz xterm.

2) I thought the solution would be :

go to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Privacy tab,

click on Full Disk access, and then add XQuartz.app to the list.

But this does not work, despite rebooting.

Any suggestions ?

Best,

Ben

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 10, 2020 6:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2020 12:04 PM

try this, for me it works:

1) put Terminal.app in Security & Privacy (Full Disk Access)

2) open Terminal.app

3) type xterm inside Terminal.app -> this will lunch XQuartz

4) if now you open xterm from XQuartz you can "ls" everything.

Similar questions

5 replies

Feb 5, 2020 10:06 PM in response to giuliano128

To me, the whole point of using xterm is as a replacement for Terminal.app. So running through Terminal.app defeats the purpose.

I found that a more direct solution was to give "Full Disk Access" to /bin/bash. This is a bit counter-intuitive, since I actually use /bin/tcsh for my shell (yeah, I know, I'm a luddite). I'm not sure whether bash is involved because my tcsh is a descendant of a bash process, or because the ls command is using bash in some way. But it is certainly true that I can toggle whether "ls ~/Documents" works by checking/unchecking bash in the Full Disk Access panel.

Feb 7, 2020 2:31 AM in response to BenKil

Hi,

Both solutions (from giuliano128 and James6M) worked for me.

James6M solution is more clean since it doesn't require two apps to make one work (but I can't seem to change it to be the solution).

For anyone reading, in order to add "/bin/bash" to the Full access list, one needs to navigate to "Macintosh HD", and then click "command", "shift" and " . " simultaneously to see the hidden files.

ls : operation not permitted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.