Terminal app says it has no permissions when it does

Hello,

I recently upgraded to Monterey version 12.7.1, and ever since I did I haven't been able to use my terminal to navigate and open files. To be explicitly clear, the terminal app is added to the list of apps that has file access, and all of my files have read/write permissions granted to my user. My user is also the main admin. If I try an operation, like ls, the terminal will not list the directory contents and will instead say "ls: .: Operation not permitted".

Possibly related, I don't know, is that Adobe PDF reader, Microsoft Office suite, and my LaTeX editor will no longer open and run because they apparently do not have permissions either (despite being on the list of apps will permissions for full disk access).

Please help! This is very frustrating.

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Nov 26, 2023 6:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2023 6:58 AM

Since it is working in Safe Mode, then you have a third party app launching on startup that is preventing access. This could be a Cleaner app or Antivirus. I recommend running EtreCheck and posting the results here using the Additional Text option. EtreCheck was developed by a fellow user here and provides a snapshot of your system showing what launches on startup. The report does not contain any personal information.

Using EtreCheck - Apple Community

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2023 6:58 AM in response to nmurtha

Since it is working in Safe Mode, then you have a third party app launching on startup that is preventing access. This could be a Cleaner app or Antivirus. I recommend running EtreCheck and posting the results here using the Additional Text option. EtreCheck was developed by a fellow user here and provides a snapshot of your system showing what launches on startup. The report does not contain any personal information.

Using EtreCheck - Apple Community

Terminal app says it has no permissions when it does

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.