Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Terminal doesn't open certain folders

My terminal doesn't open a folder that is in my downloads and I use it a lot. I tried giving my terminal 'Full Disk Access' from Security & Privacy, but terminal doesn't even show on the right side window. When I drag and drop the folder in terminal, it works. But when I type it, it does not.

Here is a picture for reference:

Posted on Mar 16, 2022 5:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2022 6:52 AM

samim165 wrote:

My terminal doesn't open a folder that is in my downloads and I use it a lot. I tried giving my terminal 'Full Disk Access' from Security & Privacy, but terminal doesn't even show on the right side window. When I drag and drop the folder in terminal, it works. But when I type it, it does not.

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/eef2ea02-da1f-4d4b-a214-a3cd3d129f3e

Use the +/- to add your Terminal.app

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2022 6:52 AM in response to samim165

samim165 wrote:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/eef2ea02-da1f-4d4b-a214-a3cd3d129f3e

Use the +/- to add your Terminal.app

Mar 17, 2022 8:12 PM in response to samim165

Are there spaces in the name of the files or folders you are trying to access? If so, then you either need to "escape" the spaces using back slashes "\" or you need to enclose the path in double quotes.

For example:

ls  ~/folder\ with\ spaces

ls  ~/"folder with spaces"

ls  "~/folder with spaces"

An easier way is to press the Tab key to auto fill the unique part of the path. For example using the above as an example start by typing

ls  ~/fo

Now press the Tab key which will fill in the rest of the name automatically as long as there are no other items in the folder beginning with "fo". If the Tab key does not autofill in any more of the name, then press the Tab key a second time which should provide a list of possible choices. If there are other items within the folder with "fo" in the name, then you need to type more of the name so that the Tab auto completion can determine which items is desired. If you don't get a list of choices or it does not auto complete, then either you have mis-typed something, or you don't have permission to read the items in the folder, or the command you are using does not allow auto completion. FYI, auto completion does not work when using double quotes in the path.

Terminal doesn't open certain folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.