Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to share files between to Mojave systems

I am setting up a new system and one of the steps is to set up file sharing between the new and an existing system. Both run Mojave 10.14.6.

I really need this, but I have been unable to get it working.

What works:

New can mount the directory of Existing when using an administrator account

What doesn't work:

Everything else. Existing cannot mount anything from New, New cannot mount anything of any other user that the Administrator user.

Help.

Posted on Jan 10, 2020 8:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2020 9:27 AM

I have the solution. AFP sharing actually did work (when I shared from a HFS+ volume). SMB sharing is a bit more complicated. For SMB3 sharing (more secure and better write performance than SMB2) the client computer needs to bound with authentication to the server. If you have managed that (using Directory Utility) then you can mount a share with any user in a secure manner. There are some other options, e.g. turn off the check on authenticated binding, revert to SMB2 but these are suboptimal.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204021

Creating the authenticated binding was quite a challenge with its moments of panic but it is working now.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2020 9:27 AM in response to VikingOSX

I have the solution. AFP sharing actually did work (when I shared from a HFS+ volume). SMB sharing is a bit more complicated. For SMB3 sharing (more secure and better write performance than SMB2) the client computer needs to bound with authentication to the server. If you have managed that (using Directory Utility) then you can mount a share with any user in a secure manner. There are some other options, e.g. turn off the check on authenticated binding, revert to SMB2 but these are suboptimal.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204021

Creating the authenticated binding was quite a challenge with its moments of panic but it is working now.

Jan 11, 2020 11:57 PM in response to Gerben Wierda

Make sure AFP sharing is unchecked as it will not work on an APFS volume. Only SMB shares are supported with an APFS volume.

Check out this Apple article on how to configure File Sharing. Look especially at how users & folders can be configured for access.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/set-up-file-sharing-on-mac-mh17131/mac

Have you tried rebooting both computers and disabling & re-enabling File Sharing?

Jan 12, 2020 1:06 AM in response to HWTech

This was helpful but the result was just the other way around. I have a HFS+ volume on the computer that shares, which enabled me to separately test AFP and SMB sharing. AFP sharing of a folder on the HFS+ volume works (with registered user). SMB sharing of a folder on the APFS volume does not work. It looks like a permissions problem.

Apple's information is theory. I know how to set up sharing, have been using macOS since OS X 10.0 (Rhapsody even). What does happen that for some reason it does not work with SMB. It looks like an authentication issue. Looking on the serving side, I see this in log:

default	10:02:52.426557 +0100	smbd	Server requires signing, but not auth-bound to Directory Service
default	10:02:52.427298 +0100	smbd	Too many groups requested (2147483647).  Can cause performance issues when network directories are involved
default	10:02:52.433288 +0100	smbd	Too many groups requested (2147483647).  Can cause performance issues when network directories are involved
default	10:02:52.448680 +0100	digest-service	digest-request: uid=0
default	10:02:52.448713 +0100	digest-service	digest-request: init request
default	10:02:52.452971 +0100	securityd	found a non-proper sample, skipping...
default	10:02:52.468923 +0100	opendirectoryd	Failed to talk to secd after 4 attempts.
default	10:02:52.472453 +0100	digest-service	digest-request: init return domain: ALBUS server: ALBUS indomain was: <NULL>
default	10:02:52.472607 +0100	smbd	Server requires signing, but not auth-bound to Directory Service

Seems definitely a problem with smbd configuration.

Jan 12, 2020 1:51 PM in response to VikingOSX

Stella? Ugh. I can't find the English word for it, but in Dutch I would say "weeïg" (sickly/soppy), to sweet. Stella is like Moretti. I'd prefer Peroni (fresh but not weak, better than Heineken etc., best lager around if you ask me). There are many wonderful Belgian beers, especially the blondes, darks, triples etc., but for a decent lager I would not go to Belgium.

Unable to share files between to Mojave systems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.