Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers for Mac - active cell moves down after "Enter"

Many former Excel users like me are used to the active cell remaining where it is after data entry. While the Excel default is set to move the active cell down 1 row when Enter is pressed, this is actually a setting that can be changed within Excel Preferences.

Unfortunately, Numbers does not offer this option so the active cell moves down a row when the Enter buttons pressed after data entry. If I wanted the active cell to move down a row, I could press the down arrow instead off Enter. So the ONLY thing Numbers makes IMPOSSIBLE is to have the active cell remain in the same position after data entry. This is driving me crazy - so crazy that I've stopped using Numbers and purchased Excel. My wallet is lighter but I'm far more content.

iMac 27", macOS 10.12

Posted on Jan 10, 2020 11:42 AM

5 replies

Jan 11, 2020 7:35 AM in response to Wayne Contello

Can you pls explain further? If I enter data in a cell and hold <Command> while hitting <ENTER>, the cell remains active and the cursor moves to the next line. Am I misunderstanding your instructions?

What I'm looking for is a way to enter data in a cell and NOT have Numbers moved down to the next row - trying to get Numbers to say on the cell where I've just entered the data.

Jan 11, 2020 8:29 AM in response to jmreim11

OK. I am working on a MacBook Pro without a numeric key pad. I do know the Return key and the enter key are different. I bet if you carefully look at the keys you'll see the the QWERTY return key also has small text for "enter".

the modifier key changes the meaning of the key stoke.

<shift> + <return> makes the selected cell go to the previous row

Numbers for Mac - active cell moves down after "Enter"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.