Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should 2019 Mac Pro Run Slower on FCPX Than on iMac Pro?

Hello guys,

I've got a 2019 (New) Mac Pro and am considering returning it.

Mac Pro Secs:

CPU: 3.2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon W

RAM:192GB RAM

GPU: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II Duo 32 G

SSD: Builtin 8TB

I expected it to reasonably faster than the iMac Pro I've been using.

iMac Pro Specs:

CPU: 2.3Ghz 18-Core Intel Xeon W

RAM: 128GB 2666 MHz DDR4

GPU: Radeon Pro Vega 64 16GB

SSD: Builtin 4TB

On Cinema 4D and Adobe After Effects, to name a few, Mac Pro does beat iMac Pro. But Final Cut Pro X, of all applications, the one Apple claims most optimized for the new Mac Pro, runs way slower on it than on iMac Pro.

I'm dumbfounded.

iMac Pro renders multicam clips 2 to 3 times faster than Mac Pro. How could it be happening?

They both use Xeon processors, so the missing Quick Sync core shouldn't be an issue. Plus, they both use T2 chips that help dealing with h.264 decoding and stuff.

I even tried transcoding every clip in the project to ProRes formats just to be sure. Doesn't make a difference.

Even some non-multicam clips, running buttery smooth on iMac Pro, stutter when played back on Mac Pro.

I've been testing exactly the same project on both machines.

Mac Pro is noticeably slower only on Final Cut Pro X.

FCPX is 10.4.8.

I'm hoping it's software issues on FCPX's part which can be fixed in no time, otherwise I'll have to return the machine.

Cinebench R20, Geenbench 5, and other known benchmark tools all report that the new Mac Pro is superior to my iMac Pro.

FCPX is the only application that shows otherwise.

What could be the cause?

Posted on Jan 10, 2020 12:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2020 5:43 PM

Catalina 10.15.3 Update solves the problem.

Now FCPX on Mac Pro runs faster than that on iMac Pro even with multi-cam clips/effects.

The ‌macOS Catalina‌ 10.15.3 update improves the stability, reliability and security of your Mac, and is recommended for all users.

This update:

1. Optimizes gamma handling of low gray levels on Pro Display XDR for SDR workflows when using macOS
  2. Improves multi-stream video editing performance for HEVC and H.264 encoded 4K video on the 16-inch (2019)

I guess the second one also relates to Mac Pro.

Just my guess but... iMac Pro shouldn't run faster than Mac Pro in terms of handling h.264 stuff since they both use Xeon Processors lacking Quick Sync Core. The only reasonable explanation would be: Mac Pro's T2 chip was unable to accelerate h.264 editing.

Anyway, this nagging problem has been solved by Apple's software updates.

Similar questions

37 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2020 5:43 PM in response to neobundy

Catalina 10.15.3 Update solves the problem.

Now FCPX on Mac Pro runs faster than that on iMac Pro even with multi-cam clips/effects.

The ‌macOS Catalina‌ 10.15.3 update improves the stability, reliability and security of your Mac, and is recommended for all users.

This update:

1. Optimizes gamma handling of low gray levels on Pro Display XDR for SDR workflows when using macOS
  2. Improves multi-stream video editing performance for HEVC and H.264 encoded 4K video on the 16-inch (2019)

I guess the second one also relates to Mac Pro.

Just my guess but... iMac Pro shouldn't run faster than Mac Pro in terms of handling h.264 stuff since they both use Xeon Processors lacking Quick Sync Core. The only reasonable explanation would be: Mac Pro's T2 chip was unable to accelerate h.264 editing.

Anyway, this nagging problem has been solved by Apple's software updates.

Jan 13, 2020 9:06 AM in response to dardarimM

Ok,

I share a link to a folder containing:

• MacPro_test - a library containing 2 timelines HD 1080p 25
    • Test1: FS7 XAVC QFHD 4K clips
    • Test2: DJI AVC MP4 clips
    • There are 4 files shot with the mobile phone that show you how the timelines are reproduced on the 2 Macs.

- New MacPro 2019 base system - 32GB RAM - Radeon 580x 8GB

- iMac 2019 - i5 - 8GB RAM - Radeon 575x 4GB

Both macs have problems with Sony FS7 files of Test1 timeline. They cannot reproduce them in realtime (FS7 files works bad with MAC!)

But the strangest problem is that the MacPro is unable to play MP4 files of Test2 timeline. The iMac does it perfectly without problems!

Let me know how they work on your Mac

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tjsophonu9tamy2/AAD17-PeEQHnmqsYzEpE5oMUa?dl=0

Jan 11, 2020 10:13 AM in response to neobundy

I've same impression!

With the MacPro base system, I'm not able to play a simple HD timeline with 4K clips, without drops!

The same project plays correctly with iMac 2019 (i5 8GB RAM, Radeon 575x 4GB)!!!!

This is a very big problem!

Problems also with 4K FS7 files. With MacPro 2013 and MacPro2019 it's impossible to work, with iMac 2019 files plays perfectly!

Jan 12, 2020 8:14 AM in response to neobundy

Your new Mac comes with at least 90 days free telephone support. Apple Support first responders are patient and methodical, and will work with you through a checklist to rule out blatantly obvious problems.

You should eventually ask for a second-level expert, who will be FAR less patient, but is likely to have a deeper understanding of what to look for.

Try to politely insist that they have Not solved your problem, and it needs to be recorded as a Bug report and forwarded to Engineering for further examination.

Based on information you provided, they will try to replicate the issue and find out what is causing it. But there are Thousands of reports in that Queue, and most look unique. The idea is to have the stack of similar reports grow so large enough it cannot be ignored as User Error.

So every user who reports this issue to Apple Support helps not only themselves, but everyone suffering from this problem. We have no mechanisms for expediting user problems from the forums. You must contact support yourself and tell them directly to get on record.

Jan 12, 2020 9:05 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hi,

I live in South Korea, where things are very different in terms of apple service. The apple staff member I contacted told me that they have no staff dedicated to FCPX. He allured that I should just return the machine. I already filled in the online return application and the seemingly faulty machine should be picked up in a couple of days. In the meantime, I ordered a new one, (a couple of notches higher one spec-wise). I will be able to confirm when it arrives whether it's been a hardware issue or not.

Thanks for your suggestions anyway.

Jan 13, 2020 9:19 AM in response to dardarimM

Before you condemn the computer, please test the DRIVE on which these files are placed to see if it is fast enough to support this workflow. Black Magic [disk] speed test is available free for this purpose.

"Best Practice" is to have Source on one drive, Destination on a different drive, Libraries or Scratch (if used) on its own drive, and NONE of this is the Boot drive.

Jan 17, 2020 2:25 PM in response to neobundy

Now I have a 28-core Mac Pro with 384GB RAM.

FCPX runs as slow on this new machine as on the previous 16-core Mac Pro with 192GB RAM.

No problem with other applications.

Benchmark results are through the roof.

Now I'm pretty sure FCPX itself is the culprit.

ps. Please don't jump to conclusion that I'm just blaming the machine without checking out obvious stuff first like NOT running projects on slow drives and all. It's a $20,000~30,000+ machine for god's sake.

Jan 17, 2020 4:42 PM in response to Killroy5

Tried everything imaginable.

Even FCPX-optimized (ProRes) multicam clips run slower than on iMac Pro.

GPUs (duo) load seldom goes up above 10%. (Metal works just fine.)

Other than FCPX, no issues with Mac Pro.

I think I'll just have to optimize my FCPX workflow further.

(And then... this spine-chilling question rings in my head: why did you invest in a $20k+ machine in the first place?)

Hope everything works out in the near future.

Jan 29, 2020 12:41 PM in response to dardarimM

Yeah, a while back, DJI files even caused my iMac Pro to go haywire or restart while transcoding.

Just now, I tried playing a multicam clip with DJI + Sony A7R4 + GoPro Hero 8 files (3 angles). The clip (with no effect on) plays real time without any frame drops.

Why don't we start a new thread on this particular subject since I flagged this one solved.

Should 2019 Mac Pro Run Slower on FCPX Than on iMac Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.