Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Occasionally Sluggish Performance with Mac Pro (Late 2013)

I have a company-owned Mac Pro (Late 2013) with these specs:

Mac Pro (Late 2013)

Processor: 2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5

Memory: 64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3

Graphics: AMD FirePro D700 6 GB

Serial Number: F5KRD0EGF9VN

I'm running OS Mojave 10.14.6 and I do creative work on Adobe Creative Cloud apps. I do a lot of HD resolution video editing in Premiere Pro, along with Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop work.

I experience periods of sluggish performance with this machine, especially scrubbing the timeline, making basic edits and even surfing the web, switching between browser tabs.

Then, it seems to go away for no reason.

This particular Mac Pro is connected to a Samsung 17" display, if that's of any concern.

I wonder if some tasks aren't being performed in the background that would tie up or choke the processor? How can I find out what's causing this performance issue?

At times I find myself falling back on a Dell tower running Windows 10 - it's lightening fast and consistent compared to this particular Mac Pro.

Any suggestions or help? The degraded performance can really make working on this machine a struggle.

Thanks!

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 4, 2020 1:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 7:51 AM

Do you recognize the profiles?

To remove a configuration profile in macOS:

From the Apple menu, select System Preferences....

From the View menu in System Preferences, select Profiles.

Note:

Profiles won't be visible until you have at least one profile installed.

Select the profile you want to remove, and then press the - (minus) button. Click Remove to remove the profile.

CleanMyMac is still there, remove this file from Launch Daemons & restart...

com.macpaw.CleanMyMac3.Agent.plist

Why no backup?

No Time Machine backup - Time Machine backup not found.

And worst of all...

Failing RAM - RAM status failing.

DIMM1 - 16 GB DDR3 ECC 1866 ecc_errors

DIMM2 - 16 GB DDR3 ECC 1866 ecc_errors

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2020 7:51 AM in response to Tom Hanser

Do you recognize the profiles?

To remove a configuration profile in macOS:

From the Apple menu, select System Preferences....

From the View menu in System Preferences, select Profiles.

Note:

Profiles won't be visible until you have at least one profile installed.

Select the profile you want to remove, and then press the - (minus) button. Click Remove to remove the profile.

CleanMyMac is still there, remove this file from Launch Daemons & restart...

com.macpaw.CleanMyMac3.Agent.plist

Why no backup?

No Time Machine backup - Time Machine backup not found.

And worst of all...

Failing RAM - RAM status failing.

DIMM1 - 16 GB DDR3 ECC 1866 ecc_errors

DIMM2 - 16 GB DDR3 ECC 1866 ecc_errors

Feb 5, 2020 9:15 AM in response to Tom Hanser

EtreCheck is a simple little app to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac.

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report...

https://pastebin.com/

Or use the paperclip at the bottom of a Reply to attach the full report here. :)

Workable but harder for me to work with...the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck.

Feb 7, 2020 8:23 AM in response to BDAqua

I just removed com.macpaw.CleanMyMac3.Agent.plist - thanks for the suggestion.

The only profile installed is a requirement by the company I work for. I know I can't remove it but I wonder if this is a performance issue?

Failing RAM? Well, maybe that's it!!! Let me look into replacing the failing RAM and see what happens.

Thanks, everyone.

Feb 7, 2020 11:19 AM in response to BDAqua

Single-bit errors are corrected in Hardware, on-the-fly, with only a stretched memory cycle. The data as corrected are perfect, and no errors are introduced into any other data. But the error persists in main store. The report should show that the modules are encountering (and correcting, as deigned) those correctable errors.

Only when an uncorrectable error occurs, such as most double-bit errors, does your Mac halt with a distinctive kernel panic, machine check, uncorrectable error or something similar, and multiple processors reporting the error. This is to prevent the error from poisoning your data by being propagated.

If all errors are correctable, there is no need to Halt. But there is reason to do some maintenance and eliminate the error-encountering modules so that full protection is restored.

Occasionally Sluggish Performance with Mac Pro (Late 2013)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.