Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import Safari Passwords from old Time Machine

I backed up my MBP with Sierra with Time Machine. I wiped the HD and did a clean install of Mojave.

Wondering if I can go back into the old Sierra Time Machine and import Safari passwords/keychain items?

Is there a way in Migration Assistant just to bring over keychain items? Any other ways?

Posted on Jan 10, 2020 12:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2020 12:49 PM

Safari passwords are stored in Keychain.

If you use Migration Assistant, you’ll get everything. Keychains and all.

If you want just your passwords, haul over your old Keychain file, probably renaming avoid conflicting with your current keychain.

The following is basically what you want to do here, but you’ll be scrounging your old Time Machine backup and not a local disk.

Copy keychains to another Mac - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2020 12:49 PM in response to jmcg3

Safari passwords are stored in Keychain.

If you use Migration Assistant, you’ll get everything. Keychains and all.

If you want just your passwords, haul over your old Keychain file, probably renaming avoid conflicting with your current keychain.

The following is basically what you want to do here, but you’ll be scrounging your old Time Machine backup and not a local disk.

Copy keychains to another Mac - Apple Support

Jan 10, 2020 1:30 PM in response to jmcg3

Login. Open Keychain Access now—without the file restoration—and select the current Login keychain, and have a look around.

Do restore the old Login keychain file under a different filename, open it using Keychain Access, and have a look around.

I’m not aware of a supported keychain merge operation, though there may be third-party tools that can do that.

You could choose to clobber everything in your new Login keychain, if you wanted. I’d reboot the Mac after replacing the keychain, though. And I’d absolutely keep around a copy of the keychain that was created when you established this new login, on the off chance you need a password or a certificate or setting from that.

If this is a new install, using Migration Assistant makes all this vastly easier.

Jan 10, 2020 2:35 PM in response to MrHoffman

Thanks again! re: Migration Assistant - I wish there was a way to more accurately know what Migration Assistant is doing. One of the reasons I did a clean install was to start clean. When you import from Migration Assistant - it seems hard to control what comes over. Do you know under what checkbox in Migration Assistant corresponds to keychain?

Jan 10, 2020 3:04 PM in response to jmcg3

jmcg3 Said:

Import Safari Passwords from old Time Machine:[...]Is there a way in Migration Assistant just to bring over keychain items? Any other ways?”

———-

Did You Create a Time Machine Backup Prior to This?

Restore your Mac to your previous Time Machine backup. Access what pops up in the keychain. Once all is accessed, just re-upgrade the Mac.

Why and When to Create a Time Machine Backup:

This is a pure example of why to create a Time Machine backup just prior to modifying a Mac. Always create one prior to any installation, update, or reinstallation whatsoever. That way, you can recover something from the backup, should anything go wrong like this. Write them down on a sheet of paper, basically making a Hard Copy of them.

Import Safari Passwords from old Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.