Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Optimized Battery Charging option is on but Significant Locations turned off. How do I know if the feature really is on?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210512 states that three location services must be enabled in order for Optimized Battery Charging to take place:

Here are a list of settings that must be enabled:
Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Location Services.
Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > System Customization.
Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > Significant Locations > Significant Locations.

My Optimize setting shows it's on but I did not have third setting enabled: Significant Locations. How do I know if it's really on?

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Jan 10, 2020 7:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2020 7:41 PM

In that link, the screenshot of the lock screen is the answer. It will show what it plans to do, in that case “scheduled to finish by 10am”

I think this will happen when it has learned the pattern and the phone is plugged in under learned conditions. If you have the location setting off, it cannot learn the pattern.

edit: it probably uses an AI algorithm that looks for “significant locations” to make sure it knows what’s happening. If you plug your phone in at 10pm next to your bed or at 10pm in the car, it probably will want to charge different. If Apple documentation about settings says “must,” they mean it. I think the difference is the setting for optimized charging being on vs the feature activating

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2020 7:41 PM in response to apta

In that link, the screenshot of the lock screen is the answer. It will show what it plans to do, in that case “scheduled to finish by 10am”

I think this will happen when it has learned the pattern and the phone is plugged in under learned conditions. If you have the location setting off, it cannot learn the pattern.

edit: it probably uses an AI algorithm that looks for “significant locations” to make sure it knows what’s happening. If you plug your phone in at 10pm next to your bed or at 10pm in the car, it probably will want to charge different. If Apple documentation about settings says “must,” they mean it. I think the difference is the setting for optimized charging being on vs the feature activating

Optimized Battery Charging option is on but Significant Locations turned off. How do I know if the feature really is on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.