Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K dolby atmos with headphone?

I can use Turtlebeach600x headphones exclusively made for xbox one and it is very good as it has no Bluetooth connectivity it does not connect to AppleTV likewise is their a way to listen to Dolbi Atmos on Apple TV through head phones

Posted on Jan 11, 2020 10:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2020 4:15 PM

AirPods would not be able to output Atmos, but they would be able to be used with Apple TV as they are bluetooth. I am not aware of any headphone that can actually output Atmos, nor does it seem possible to do over BT. The closest you can come is something like Dolby's dimension headphone, which can create a virtualized surround experience.

https://products.dolby.com/dimension/

The only way to have true Atmos would be through a discrete receiver based system.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2020 4:15 PM in response to jkpunjabi

AirPods would not be able to output Atmos, but they would be able to be used with Apple TV as they are bluetooth. I am not aware of any headphone that can actually output Atmos, nor does it seem possible to do over BT. The closest you can come is something like Dolby's dimension headphone, which can create a virtualized surround experience.

https://products.dolby.com/dimension/

The only way to have true Atmos would be through a discrete receiver based system.

Jan 12, 2020 10:44 AM in response to vazandrew

Dear Vazandrew thanks for you reply in Xbox one you don’t need Atmos enabled headphone any headphone can be used Dolby Atmos costs $14.99 to enable, a fee which you can pay via the Dolby Access app. Dolby Atmos for Headphones allows you to experience Dolby Atmos (for Xbox and Windows 10) through any set of headphones.Why Apple can’t do this.Turtblebeach 600 headphone especially designed exclusively for Xbox one connects wirelessly while you have to connect you headphone to Xbox controller through 3.5 mm jack as the Xbox does not have Bluetooth

Jan 13, 2020 7:23 AM in response to jkpunjabi

No it is not. Again, that is based on software, is an emulation and not true Atmos. The headphones would need to actually support Atmos in order for them to properly output the format and work on Apple TV. Apple TV also only supports bluetooth, which does not have the capacity to output Atmos. It would not be up to Apple to create a solution when it is dependent on the headphones and the BT protocol.

As I said the closest you can come is something like the Dolby Dimension, or something similar, that can similarly emulate the surround over the BT connection.

Apple TV 4K dolby atmos with headphone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.