Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change Apple account region

I have been trying to link my Apple Music account to my alexa device. But when I do it says Apple Music is not currently supported in my region.

I live in South Africa. I am not sure what region my iTunes account is with? I initially set it up in the UK and my Apple Music I set up in South Africa. After much trouble shooting with amazon it appears I may need to change my Apple Music acc region to South Africa. Can this be done? Can anyone with similar Alexa/Apple Music region issue help me please.

iPhone 8

Posted on Jan 12, 2020 3:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2020 3:23 AM

Hey there, I understand that you're having trouble with linking your Apple Music to your Alexa.

Apple Music with Alexa is not supported in South Africa as per Play Apple Music with Alexa - Apple Support

I know that Apple Music is available for users in South Africa as per iOS and iPadOS - Feature Availability - Apple

To check what your country is for the iTunes & App Store on your iPhone:

1. Open Settings
  2. Tap on your name at the top.
  3. Tap on iTunes & App Store
  4. Tap on your Apple ID email address and View Apple ID
  5. Tap on Country/Region and observe what country you have there.

Alternatively, you can sign into appleid.apple.com and view your Apple ID country under the Account section.

If you want to change your Apple ID country, you can follow the steps in this article:

Change your Apple ID country or region - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2020 3:23 AM in response to CarlaCD

Hey there, I understand that you're having trouble with linking your Apple Music to your Alexa.

Apple Music with Alexa is not supported in South Africa as per Play Apple Music with Alexa - Apple Support

I know that Apple Music is available for users in South Africa as per iOS and iPadOS - Feature Availability - Apple

To check what your country is for the iTunes & App Store on your iPhone:

1. Open Settings
  2. Tap on your name at the top.
  3. Tap on iTunes & App Store
  4. Tap on your Apple ID email address and View Apple ID
  5. Tap on Country/Region and observe what country you have there.

Alternatively, you can sign into appleid.apple.com and view your Apple ID country under the Account section.

If you want to change your Apple ID country, you can follow the steps in this article:

Change your Apple ID country or region - Apple Support

Jan 12, 2020 3:44 AM in response to CarlaCD

That is right, you will need to cancel any subscriptions in order to change countries.

Before you cancel your Apple Music subscription, try logging into to check your Apple ID country: appleid.apple.com

Here's a picture to help you (highlighted in red of the country box)

If you see it's in South Africa, then yes you cannot link it with your Alexa.

If you decide to cancel your subscription to change your country from SA to UK, you might lose your music library if you cancel your Apple Music subscription.

Jan 12, 2020 3:55 AM in response to Mashoe

I’ve been online with amazon support ball morning! Literally.

they say there is nothing they can do. It is an Apple issue? I am so confused. They say it is a problem as even though I have uk amazon account and uk iTunes and Alexa was bought in uk, as I am playing it physically in South Africa that is the issue? I don’t know what else to do other than change my music provider?

Jan 12, 2020 4:13 AM in response to CarlaCD

It sounds like you have all the right properties except for one thing, the environment that the Alexa is in. Can you confirm that your Alexa account is actually set for UK when you login on their website: https://alexa.amazon.com

I think you are right, the Alexa may have detected that it is physically in SA based on your internet provider in SA.

You can also try to use a VPN to mimic your location to be in the UK, but I don't know how that will work with Alexa. For example, does the Alexa connect directly to your Wi-Fi network or does it go through your iPhone? If it's through your iPhone, you can try downloading a VPN app on your iPhone and set the country to the UK.

See if that works, otherwise there's nothing more we can do here.

Change Apple account region

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.