Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WIFI appears connected but the WiFi bars are not there

When I’m in my WiFi settings the blue arrow next to my WIFI appears telling me I’m connected but then the top left of the phone where the three WiFi bars are supposed to be there’s nothing there. I’ve tried all the following steps, nothing seems to work.

​[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 8, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 12, 2020 8:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2020 8:51 PM

I understand my Cellular Signal isn't good but still my phone should have the WiFi symbol and not LTE when I am connected to my WiFi, even when I turned my data off the WiFi wasn't working even though in my setting the blue checkmark appears.

14 replies

Jan 12, 2020 8:29 PM in response to Cmadigan15

Hi, I am afraid you are confusing Wi-FI signal strength with Cellular signal strength. You are right that according to the image that you provided, you are connected to the Wi-Fi network named MADIGAN_EXT. No problems there Wi-Fi should be working fine.

Now, the bars that you mentioned which are located in the top left corner are signal strength indicators for your Cellular Network which is AT&T LTE.

From that image, it appears that you have great Wi-Fi signal however a weak AT&T Cellular signal. Hope this clarifies and helps.

Axel F.

Jan 12, 2020 10:12 PM in response to Cmadigan15

I agree that this has nothing to do with your Cellular signal or connection. This has everything to do with your Wi-Fi. The blue checkmark confirms that you are connected however the internet traffic doesn't appear to travel through your iPhone. You are connected to your Wi-Fi router but not the internet.

Can you do tow things?

1. Force Restart your iPhone by following instructions here Force restart iPhone - Apple Support
  2. Disconnect electric power to your Router and then plug it back again after a 20 second wait

Let's see if that solves this issue. Thanks.

Axel F.

Jan 13, 2020 2:21 PM in response to Axel Foley

Yes multiple times. Eventually it will connect me to the WiFi but the problem persists randomly, sometimes it goes days without doing it but then there’s times it does it all day long. I don’t know the issue because other WiFi’s don’t do this to my phone, and then other phones at my house don’t have this issue either. It’s just like my phone and my WiFi have an issue. It’s confusing

Jan 15, 2020 5:56 AM in response to MrHoffman

I’ll have to check when I get home but I don’t understand how it would be an issue with the router when everything else in the house runs smooth other than my phone. But then it can’t be my phone because when I’m on other WiFi’s it works normally, but I guess trying a new router couldn’t hurt instead of getting a whole new phone.

Jan 15, 2020 7:55 AM in response to Cmadigan15

Okay, so this iPhone works as expected with different routers? That’s good news.

Then the next step is rebooting the Wi-Fi router, and rebooting the iPhone. That’s cleared weirdness.

Then checking that the Wi-Fi connection is WPA2 and not WPA, WEP, or cleartext, and that the router is at current vendor firmware version.

Also the local network configuration, as there are at least three different (related?) Wi-Fi networks using variations of that same name. That can cause problems with connectivity, if those (inter-related?) networks aren’t correctly configured, and potentially also correctly subnet’d.

A Wi-Fi router from the past dozen or more years should have support for WPA2.

Which Wi-Fi vendor, and which model? We might be able to run some searches for further details.

WIFI appears connected but the WiFi bars are not there

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.