Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod sorting by Album Artist, not Artist...

I had to give up my trusty old iPod Classic (no longer supported in Catalina :( and am in the process of setting up a new iPod Touch. I synced/downloaded more than 8500 songs. I couldn't figure out why not all the artists were showing up in order and after poking around, I realized that many of the songs do not have an "Album Artist" listed in the Get Info data. Which means that the iPod is sorting them by Album Artist and not Artist. And many songs have "Soundtrack" or "Various Artists" listed as the Album Artist, so these out of whack too. Is there ANY way of sorting the music on the iPod by plain old Artist, rather than Album Artist? If not, I either have to search for particular songs or individually update more than 1500 Album Artists by hand. GAH. In iTunes (now Apple Music), I can easily sort by either of these categories. And iPod Classic always sorted by Artist. What gives? HELP! Thanks...

Posted on Jan 12, 2020 8:49 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Jan 13, 2020 1:18 PM in response to QuickPost

Thanks. Yes, the iPod Classic does show up in the finder, but will not Sync. (Not based just on my own experience, but on multitudes of posts on these forums).

My bottom line question is: Is there a way to Sort by Artist, rather than Album Artist, on the iPod Touch. Album Artist seems to be the default, and I see nowhere else to change/add other options. It lists Artist as the category, but is clearly sorting by the Album Artist. Unfortunately, a huge chunk of my music does not have an Album Artist listed, only Artist. It is possible to sort by Artist in Apple Music, just not on the iPod Touch, at least that I can find.

iPod sorting by Album Artist, not Artist...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.