Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spaces in Catalina

Good morning. I've created separate desktops (spaces), personal and business. If I select a business app from the dock while on my personal desktop, I thought it would automatically take me to my business desktop, but it doesn't. Instead I first have to go to my business desktop, then open the app. Is that the way it's supposed to work?

Catalina 10.15.2

Thank you.

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 13, 2020 7:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2020 6:17 AM

I can confirm that.

When I assign an application to a particular desktop - say, TeXShop to Desktop 2 - then it honors this when starting. I click TexShop icon in the Dock and it duly starts in Desktop 2. Subsequently, if I have a TeXShop window open in Desktop 2, it will take me there, otherwise it will stay in the same Desktop.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2020 6:17 AM in response to Josienjoe

I can confirm that.

When I assign an application to a particular desktop - say, TeXShop to Desktop 2 - then it honors this when starting. I click TexShop icon in the Dock and it duly starts in Desktop 2. Subsequently, if I have a TeXShop window open in Desktop 2, it will take me there, otherwise it will stay in the same Desktop.

Jan 13, 2020 8:46 AM in response to Josienjoe

Just to clarify: did you assign the application to the desktop?

For example:

Also, you may want to check this box in System Preferences->Mission Control:

I just did a quick test and it appears to be working correctly.

Specifically, I associated an application ("Podcasts") with Desktop 2.

Then I switched to Desktop 1 and clicked the Dock icon for Podcasts. It duly switched to Desktop 2 automatically and launched the application.

Jan 13, 2020 11:03 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I created an extra desktop as suggested by woodmeister50, but that didn't help. I confirmed that I have the options and system preferences as you have suggested, but nothing changed. But what I found is that if I have the QuickBooks program open, and then click on it in another desktop, nothing happens. However, if I leave a QB window open, such as my vendors list, Mission Control will take me to desktop2 if I select QB in desktop1. I don't know if it's a glitch with QB or if there's another setting I've missed. But thank you for your help.

Spaces in Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.