Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Menus instead of action?

It seems nearly every time I click on the + to add a new tab, or on the Forward or Reverse buttons, or on apps in the Dock, instead of just doing any of those actions, I get instead a dropdown menu!! I just want the new tab to open, or to go back to the previous one, forward to the next one, or the app I clicked on, to just open!!

And sometimes clicking doesn't register, or grabbing the side rails won't move the position of the screen, or scrolling won't happen! I have to do something else, then try again, for it to finally do what I need doing. Why is this happening so often??

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.7

Posted on Nov 28, 2022 10:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2022 6:34 AM

Start with this if IntelMac...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes or more.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2022 6:34 AM in response to Saxman

Start with this if IntelMac...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes or more.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Feb 1, 2023 12:11 PM in response to Saxman

Yes, a report from this will not display any personal info...

EtreCheck is a FREE simple little diagnostic tool to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac. It will not display any personal info.

https://www.etrecheck.com/

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report if you capture the URL while there…

Workable but harder for me to work with...the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck. In a Reply before you click post, look for this to add longer texts...

Dec 28, 2022 9:02 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I'm using various mice, the Apple "Magic Mouse", & two or three non-Apple ones, and it seems to happen with all of them, but only when I use Safari, or other Apple apps, other browsers work as they should.

It also is wack, that you can't just put in a search word or terms and hit the return key, to do a search, as Safari will act as if everything is a url, even though no other browser has that issue. It's quite a pain to want to look up something quickly, and I can't just put in the keywords and go! I either have to wait a few seconds for it to offer a google search option, or hope that the dropdown or right-click menu to paste in my search terms offers me the option to just paste, and not only "paste & search" which automatically treats it as a url. And lots of the time, it will only show "paste & search", with no option to just paste, .... I mean, huh?

Dec 29, 2022 2:24 AM in response to Saxman

It depends on what you paste. If it looks like a URL, then it will be taken as such.

For example: if you paste "Apple Discussions" (without the quotes) it will search, but if you paste "discussions.apple" (again, without the quotes) it will try (and fail) to open it as a URL.

It all seems pretty logical to me.

More annoying, perhaps (and that is probably what is causing you trouble) is its propension to automatically "guess" or "expand" as you type; so if you press enter a bit too quickly it may have guessed wrong without you even noticing.

Dec 30, 2022 1:28 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I understand what may look like a url & what doesn't, as I've been using browsers for a good 30 yrs, including Safari, and it's never done this until this last year or so. If it's guessing, it's guessing wrong far too much of the time. ;-)

The fact that this also is happening with apps in the Dock, as well, where instead of opening when I click on them, a dropdown menu pops out, likely indicates an Apple issue beyond just Safari. However, it's odd that none of this happens when I use any other browser, only with Safari. I also seem to have far more issues with slowness (like now, typing requires me to type, then wait & wait for the letters to finally appear, before I can continue), buffering videos (despite a very fast WiFi connection), & very high memory & CPU usage, especially by WindowServer (usually at 6GB & 50-100%+ CPU), and other Apple System processes, whenever I use Safari, which of all the browsers, should be the one that runs the smoothest.

I'm going to try starting in Safe Mode, and see if these issues still appear. If I have no choice, I'll back up everything, then do a clean install or re-install... Maybe there's just some old stuff lying around that are the cause. I would think there might be some way that a new OS could handle cleaning out any old System &/or third party apps that are either obsolete or just in the way. Especially since all the "experts" on here constantly tell us we must not use any third party memory or process management apps, because "Apple's OS handles all that on its own"! Well, I think situations like mine belie that statement.

Dec 30, 2022 1:41 PM in response to Saxman

There are a few things possibly here.

One: the part about "this also happening when clicking an icon in the Dock" seems to suggest that maybe you are activating "force touch". I had to adapt when I got my current mac, as the old one did you not have this. If I press too hard on the trackpad, I can get a contextual menu as well.

Two: you should absolutely NOT install cleaners, antivirus or optimizers. The "experts" are absolutely right.

Three: You may want to run Etrecheck and post its report here, so we can look for common issues that may affecting your system. Your overall experience does not look normal; often these issues can be due to third party stuff.

Jan 27, 2023 12:45 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

It's odd that you say that, since I find the menus are less likely to open if I press harder on the mouse!

As for the search words in the window being seen as a url, ****, sometimes when I go to paste in it, I'll only see "Paste & Search", Cut & Copy, and Paste alone isn't even an option, which is even more frustrating! I have to click the window again, then try right clicking again, until I see the Paste option. But most of the time, I must paste, then pause a couple seconds until it says "Search via Google" in the dropdown.

As for the memory cleaner warning, what exactly does having one do, that's so bad. I find that when my Activity Monitor is showing lots of memory usage, and a lot of cached files (which clicking on the Empty Caches from the Developer menu, will only remove 100mb, of what's often 10-18 GBs of cache), and begins to slow things down, the only thing that speeds everything back up is to use memory clean 3. I then find everything working back to normal.. So how is having or using it, messing things up? No one's actually explained it, beyond demanding it be removed...

Jan 27, 2023 2:08 PM in response to Saxman

Safe Mode does NOT start asking questions as if you were starting for the first time. Something does not add up.

It would take longer to boot, show the words Safe Boot at the top right and then work more slowly. But the point is twofold: to clear caches and to test if whilst in this mode you see the same problem or not.

Are you sure you started from a shut down mac and held the Shift key until the Apple sign appeared?

Feb 1, 2023 10:59 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I'm pretty sure I did that, and now wonder what else I could've done, in restarting, that would have caused it to begin going through the whole setting up process? I'll try the safe boot again, cause I don't think I saw the words Safe Boot in the top right.

As to BDAqua's comment, I do have two usernames that are close, and I know that's been an issue, causing a lot of confusion with folders & apps, as I couldn't figure out how to consolidate them both into one. One is my first name alone, the other my first and last names, and I don't know how they both became separate user names.

I'd also like to upgrade from Big Sur, and do a clean install. I just have to figure out how to keep all the files & apps I want to keep, while letting everything else (which I'm sure is a couple decades worth of extraneous junk) go.

Is there some procedure or app that can tell what's junk (like pieces of apps not fully deleted, old system files, and any other stuff that only messes up my functionality?

Menus instead of action?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.