Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Opening new window doesn't work after upgrading to ventura

Since I upgraded to ventura I have an issue with opening an new window. Eg when on safari I choice opening a new window I got opening a new tab. For other apps like terminal, pages etc the behavior is simular.

I can drag the tab outside the window to get 2 safari windows. But this is stupid because double work.

I guess there is a new setting somewhere hidden to set this. I searched for a few months but didn't find something.

Does anybody have a good tip how to restore the correct working? Saying that when I want to open a window a window opens.

iPhone 12 mini, iOS 16

Posted on Dec 28, 2022 8:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2022 8:08 AM

arie2612 wrote:

Since I upgraded to ventura I have an issue with opening an new window. Eg when on safari I choice opening a new window I got opening a new tab. For other apps like terminal, pages etc the behavior is simular.
I can drag the tab outside the window to get 2 safari windows. But this is stupid because double work.

I guess there is a new setting somewhere hidden to set this. I searched for a few months but didn't find something.
Does anybody have a good tip how to restore the correct working? Saying that when I want to open a window a window opens.

Typically Command N opens a new window

Command T opens a Tab

You can try a SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Login and test, reboot as normal and test

Can you verify your software is up to date…

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.1

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2022 8:08 AM in response to arie2612

arie2612 wrote:

Typically Command N opens a new window

Command T opens a Tab

You can try a SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Login and test, reboot as normal and test

Can you verify your software is up to date…

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.1

Jan 1, 2023 5:41 AM in response to leroydouglas

Found the answer in settings. It's on a strange place I was mislead by the remark about Documents so I taught it was pages only. But seem to be more.

IN desktop & Dock. There is Sub about Windows&Apps, Here the Prefer tabs when opening documents was set to always. changed it to never and it works now as expected.

Hopes it will help others as well.

Regards

Opening new window doesn't work after upgrading to ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.