Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Catalina 10.15.2 - Constant switching to Finder

Recently, using my iMac Retina 5K, 27 inches, Late 2015, no matter what app I am using, it suddenly switches to the Finder. It means I can no longer type in any app. Just now, it happened in Safari. When I was typing the title of this post, I couldn't get past the word "Constant," before it switched. I know this because I immediately went to the menu bar at the top (it is always hidden), and it showed I was in the Finder. I had to click on Safari to bring it to the front again, but it still happens over and over.

I tried force-quitting the Finder, and that didn't help. I haven't downloaded any new apps in two weeks.

What else can I try? It is infuriating!

Thank you,

Greg

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 13, 2020 10:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2020 10:37 AM

Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc. Login and test.

2 replies

MacOS Catalina 10.15.2 - Constant switching to Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.