Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't see password protected spreadsheets or encrypted files in icloud

I want to put my financial spreadsheet on my phone and ipad but I want it to be passworded and especially encrypted. I've tried all sorts of ways including a sparse bundle from disk utility. It shows in icloud but when I put in my password it refuses it or does nothing at all. Can the icloud handle a sparse drive or passworded spreadsheets?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 13, 2020 11:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2020 9:04 AM

Hey there kattnip333,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. I understand you’re having issues accessing a password protected spreadsheet from iCloud. I’ll be happy to help.

With iCloud Drive and Files, you should be able to store and access your password protected file without issue. iCloud Drive is similar to a folder where you can place and access your files. You can read more about this in these links:

Access iCloud Drive files from your iPhone and other devices

What is iCloud Drive?

If the spreadsheet is a Numbers or similar type file, you should be able to use the steps here to help you lock and open the file:

Password-protect a Numbers spreadsheet on iPad

If you’re locking the file with Disk Utility or if it’s a PDF and you’re locking it with Preview, you may need to open the file from your Mac before it will work as those are macOS apps. Try locking the file using an app (like Numbers) that is accessible on both iPadOS, iOS, and macOS and see if this works.

Let me know if this helps.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2020 9:04 AM in response to kattnip333

Hey there kattnip333,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. I understand you’re having issues accessing a password protected spreadsheet from iCloud. I’ll be happy to help.

With iCloud Drive and Files, you should be able to store and access your password protected file without issue. iCloud Drive is similar to a folder where you can place and access your files. You can read more about this in these links:

Access iCloud Drive files from your iPhone and other devices

What is iCloud Drive?

If the spreadsheet is a Numbers or similar type file, you should be able to use the steps here to help you lock and open the file:

Password-protect a Numbers spreadsheet on iPad

If you’re locking the file with Disk Utility or if it’s a PDF and you’re locking it with Preview, you may need to open the file from your Mac before it will work as those are macOS apps. Try locking the file using an app (like Numbers) that is accessible on both iPadOS, iOS, and macOS and see if this works.

Let me know if this helps.

Can't see password protected spreadsheets or encrypted files in icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.