Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I install windows via boot camp in Macbook?

How can I install windows via boot camp in Macbook? Which is better way of using windows in MacBook, via boot camp or using parallel windows?

​[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jan 13, 2020 11:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply
11 replies

Jan 13, 2020 12:00 PM in response to mayank010

Boot Camp - Official Apple Support

Which method is better depends on your needs. When installing using Boot Camp, Windows is installed natively meaning it boots indepently and not at the same time as MacOS. Windows there fore uses all your system resources when booting.

When using Parallels or any VM to install Windows, Windows is boots along side of MacOS therefore it shares your system resources with the MacOS.

Jan 13, 2020 12:27 PM in response to mayank010

Parallels Desktop is a money sink—

if you decide on a VM look at the shareware VirtualBox

In this way Windows and macOS can run side by side like any other software.

If you need dedicated Windows OS, with all the resources your Mac has to offer— holding the shift key on boot up allows you to boot to Windows OS.

Install Windows 10 on your Mac with Boot Camp Assistant ...

Jan 14, 2020 6:52 AM in response to mayank010

Question 1: Will you need to or find it very convenient to flip from one OS to the other? If so a virtual solution is better.

Question 2: Do you need or want the full speed of the computer in your Windows environment? A virtual solution will be slower so game playing and video editing, for example, is better done in BootCamp. I have a couple massive spreadsheets that take 1-2 seconds to recalc

Question 3: Do you have at least 16 GB of RAM? If not BootCamp is probably a better solution. The virtual solution needs RAM for you Mac to run the virtual software, the virtualization software needs RAM to run, and then Windows needs RAM to run. I have an 8GB notebook and it is considerably faster than my older desktop with 16GB of RAM. Win10 runs better on the desktop.

I don't completely agree with the assessment that VirtualBox is the better solution because it is free. It does indeed fit the needs of many users however Parallels is faster and more feature rich. While I could use VB at work the features that Parallels offer and the ease of setup makes its price worthwhile. Yes, I wind up upgrading it every 2=3 years but that's true of most of the software I value.

Jan 15, 2020 3:46 AM in response to dwb

Thanks for the reply mate, it is really helpful. I will preferably install the windows via boot camp. On additional note, i also need to extend the display to two additional monitors, so it will be either three (one MacBook and two additional) screens or two (two additional) screen. I’m planning to get 13inch 1.4ghz core i5 256 gb and 8gb ram for that matter. Pls advice if that possible, the extension of displays in when I boot via windows

How can I install windows via boot camp in Macbook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.