Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Resetting IMAP password

How can I reset my IMAP password? I have no idea what it is, and although I changed it in my settings, IMAP tells me it's wrong. I haven't been able to get my mail on my phone

iPhone 5s, iOS 12

Posted on Jan 13, 2020 1:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2020 1:26 PM

Your IMAP password is the password to an email account that is configured to use IMAP. If you have forgotten it you can reset it using whatever method your email provider offers for resetting it. Some email providers (e.g., gmail, yahoo and Microsoft) also offer 2 factor authentication to better protect your account. If you use one of these providers with 2 factor authentication you must create an application-specific password to access the account with the built-in mail app.

For IMAP email the easiest way to fix login problems is to delete the account, restart your phone, and then add the account back. As the master copy of all email is on the email provider’s server you won’t lose any messages.

If you provide additional information, like the email provider (just the part after the @; don’t post your complete email address in this public forum) one of the user-volunteers can probably provide more specific details.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2020 1:26 PM in response to kathydavi

Your IMAP password is the password to an email account that is configured to use IMAP. If you have forgotten it you can reset it using whatever method your email provider offers for resetting it. Some email providers (e.g., gmail, yahoo and Microsoft) also offer 2 factor authentication to better protect your account. If you use one of these providers with 2 factor authentication you must create an application-specific password to access the account with the built-in mail app.

For IMAP email the easiest way to fix login problems is to delete the account, restart your phone, and then add the account back. As the master copy of all email is on the email provider’s server you won’t lose any messages.

If you provide additional information, like the email provider (just the part after the @; don’t post your complete email address in this public forum) one of the user-volunteers can probably provide more specific details.

Jan 13, 2020 1:25 PM in response to kathydavi

You need to do that through your email provider. Generally it is done on their web based mail access. If you do not remember the password, then change it there. Then you can change it on your iOS device. Making changes on the iOS device does not make changes at the server level, which is where the mail comes from. You have to change it at the server, then replace it on the iPhone. That is why you have to log into the web based, so you can access the server. The iPhone is just a client.

Resetting IMAP password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.