Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble connecting to HP Monitor with USB-C/Thunderbolt 3

I just purchased an HP Pavilion QHD monitor to use with my MacBook Pro (2017, running the latest Catalina), based on reviews of the monitor that said it worked well with Macs. I've been trying unsuccessfully to get the computer and monitor to talk to each other via the USB-C connection. The computer seems to recognize the monitor for a second (the little battery icon at the top of my screen shows that the computer is getting power via the monitor, until the monitor says that it's going to sleep because of no input) but I can't get the monitor to show up when I detect displays in the settings. I've set the input settings to USB-C on the monitor and can't think of what else to try, short of getting an HDMI or Display Port adapter and trying to connect that way.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 13, 2020 6:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2020 6:25 PM

That is a fairly simple display.

Reviews say its USB-C supports downstream (away from the computer) only.

Its web site says:

Signal input connectors

1 DisplayPort™ 1.2 (with HDCP support);

1 HDMI 1.4 (with HDCP support)

I think you will need a DisplayPort cable to make it show a picture, and its charge ability over USB-C is limited to 4.5 Watts, not nearly enough to run a MacBook Pro.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2020 6:25 PM in response to Bosskins

That is a fairly simple display.

Reviews say its USB-C supports downstream (away from the computer) only.

Its web site says:

Signal input connectors

1 DisplayPort™ 1.2 (with HDCP support);

1 HDMI 1.4 (with HDCP support)

I think you will need a DisplayPort cable to make it show a picture, and its charge ability over USB-C is limited to 4.5 Watts, not nearly enough to run a MacBook Pro.

Trouble connecting to HP Monitor with USB-C/Thunderbolt 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.