Trouble connecting Mac Pro Thunderbolt 2 output to monitor's USB-C input

Hi,

I was told both by Apple and Dell support that I could connect my Mac Pro Late 2013 to a Dell S2722QC monitor by running a Thunderbolt 2 cable from the Mac Pro, connecting it to a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adaptor, and then connecting that adaptor to the monitor's USB-C port. This, however, does not work: when I do so the monitor says it is receiving no USB-C signal. I have done troubleshooting to rule out the cable, adaptor, Thunderbolt 2 port on the Mac Pro and UBC-C port on the monitor. Does anyone have any solutions for getting this setup to work. Note that I can connect the computer and monitor via HDMI but this does not allow me to use the monitor to its fullest capacity.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Best,

Neil

Mac Pro, 12.6

Posted on Jun 8, 2023 8:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2023 10:54 AM

+1 That adapter is intended to go from a Thunderbolt3/USB-C to Thunderbolt 2/Mini DisplayPort, but even then it's uses in that capacity are limited.

Unfortunately a Thunderbolt 3/USB-C Display, is not the ideal choice for an older 2013 Mac.

What I would do, is test a high quality short Premium Certified HDMI cable with that Display.

Then if I was not satisfied with the HDMI connection? I would return that display and look for one that included DisplayPort input as a third option. Then I would use a Thunderbolt2/Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2023 10:54 AM in response to Neil Goldberg

+1 That adapter is intended to go from a Thunderbolt3/USB-C to Thunderbolt 2/Mini DisplayPort, but even then it's uses in that capacity are limited.

Unfortunately a Thunderbolt 3/USB-C Display, is not the ideal choice for an older 2013 Mac.

What I would do, is test a high quality short Premium Certified HDMI cable with that Display.

Then if I was not satisfied with the HDMI connection? I would return that display and look for one that included DisplayPort input as a third option. Then I would use a Thunderbolt2/Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable.

Jun 14, 2023 4:31 AM in response to Neil Goldberg

Whoever told you to use the Thunderbolt 3-to-2 adapter in that way gave you bad advice. It is a bi-directional adapter, but it's only designed for communications between two Thunderbolt devices. It doesn't do extra work needed to take a TB-encapsulated DP signal on one side, and offer up a non-TB-encapsulated DP signal on the other. So,

• If you attach the TB3 side to a modern Mac, and a Mini DisplayPort device to the TB2 side (hoping that the TB2 side will act as a Mini DIsplayPort), it won't work.
  • If you attach the TB2 side to an old Mac that has a TB1 or TB2 port, and a USB-C (DisplayPort Alt Mode, non-TB) device to the TB3 side, that won't work, either.

The Dell S2722QC takes USB-C (DisplayPort Alt Mode) input, not Thunderbolt input. The TB2-to-TB3 adapter isn't generating the signal that the Dell S2722QC needs (and wasn't designed to do so).

Jun 12, 2023 10:54 AM in response to den.thed

Thank you so much, den.thed ! This is better support than Apple or Dell provided! Could I trouble you with a follow up question? I do have the monitor set up with a short HDMI cable and it looks fine to me, but somewhere I had read that HDMI is not ideal. By not connecting via USB-C I realize I'm losing the ability to turn this monitor into a hub. Can you think of any other downsides? The only ones that are clear to me is that I can't choose 60 Hertz refresh with HDMI, only 30 Hertz. It also seems like the typing is a drop delayed on the monitor but I can't tell if that's a function of the monitor or my CPU or something else. Basically I'm being lazy and trying to avoid sending this monitor back. Also I'm looking ahead to when this 10 year old Mac Pro inevitably dies and I switch to a Mac Studio. Again many thanks in advance!

Jun 12, 2023 10:54 AM in response to Neil Goldberg

Neil Goldberg wrote:

Thank you so much, den.thed ! This is better support than Apple or Dell provided!

You're welcome. We don't have all of the answers. What we have as Apple Product Users is more time behind the preverbal wheel.

Could I trouble you with a follow up question?

Sure and I'll try, with what experience and know how that I have.

I do have the monitor set up with a short HDMI cable and it looks fine to me, but somewhere I had read that HDMI is not ideal.

At this point that is the best option with that setup.

By not connecting via USB-C I realize I'm losing the ability to turn this monitor into a hub. Can you think of any other downsides?

What you need it a second USB patch cable out to the Displays downside USB hub.

The only ones that are clear to me is that I can't choose 60 Hertz refresh with HDMI, only 30 Hertz.

I don't have a straight answer on that one. Resolutions and Refresh rates can very wildly depending on the Mac's GPU, Cable Quality and Display.

I do know for a fact, that a Display with DisplayPort input will allow higher Refresh Rates from a 2013 Mac with ThunderBolt 2/Mini DisplayPort output.

It also seems like the typing is a drop delayed on the monitor but I can't tell if that's a function of the monitor or my CPU or something else.

I suspect that the typing delay, is related to an App or background process that is using a lot of CPU. Maybe open your Activity Monitor and have a look at the CPU usage.

Again many thanks in advance!

No problem, you're welcome.

Jun 14, 2023 4:52 AM in response to Neil Goldberg

[Edit: I suggested trying a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, in case the Late 2013's Mac Pro's Thunderbolt ports – operating in mDP compatibility mode – could generate UHD 4K resolution DP output at 60 Hz. After I posted and the Web page refreshed, I saw that 'shecky200' had simultaneously posted an update making the suggestion moot.]

Nov 9, 2023 7:04 AM in response to Neil Goldberg

There is ONE MORE way you could drive that 4K display using the MacPro 2013 desktop and HDMI and get higher refresh rate.

Divide the display area in half and set it up as TWO half-displays, Left/Right. This uses TWO cables at once out of the Mac. Add one more adapter/cable FROM Mini DisplayPort TO HDMI (make sure it works that direction).

On the Mac, set up in Extended Desktop, each display representing the left or right half-display. These are 'Arranged' so that they are concatenated along the appropriate edge.

Provided the display supports Picture-BY-Picture feature (a cousin of Picture-IN-Picture) that can be used to re-assemble the two half-displays into one seamless picture again.

This actually works very nicely, and gets your refresh rate back up to 60 Hz, using two cables, each of which carries half the data.

Trouble connecting Mac Pro Thunderbolt 2 output to monitor's USB-C input

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.