Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting Dell monitor to Mackbook Pro

good morning, I have a macbook pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports). I'm trying to connect a Dell Monitor P2419HC to the MBP using a USB-C cable but the screen doesn't detect the signal from the MBP. I started by trying an HDMI cable with an adapter but that didn't work. then got the USB-C cable but still doesn't work. I've tried restarting but nothing works.What else can I do?

thanks

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Mar 17, 2023 6:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2023 7:53 AM

The Mac uses a system that reminds me of “Plug and play” to determine what display is connected, and what its capabilities are.

To get a Mac display to become active, you need the Mac to query the display, and the display to answer with its name and capabilities. Otherwise, the display will not be shown as present, and no data will be sent to the display. "No signal detected" is generated by the DISPLAY, not by the Mac.

This query is only sent at certain times:

• at startup

• at wake from sleep — so momentarily sleeping and waking your Mac may work

• at insertion of the Mac-end of the display-cable, provided everything on that cable is ready-to-go

• hold the Option key while you click on the (Detect Display) button that will appear in Displays preferences (from another display)

so try doing some of those things and see if the display comes alive.

if you get only the 'wallpaper" on the display, all is working as designed, but you may need to adjust the settings to get what you really wanted.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2023 7:53 AM in response to Faustino1979

The Mac uses a system that reminds me of “Plug and play” to determine what display is connected, and what its capabilities are.

To get a Mac display to become active, you need the Mac to query the display, and the display to answer with its name and capabilities. Otherwise, the display will not be shown as present, and no data will be sent to the display. "No signal detected" is generated by the DISPLAY, not by the Mac.

This query is only sent at certain times:

• at startup

• at wake from sleep — so momentarily sleeping and waking your Mac may work

• at insertion of the Mac-end of the display-cable, provided everything on that cable is ready-to-go

• hold the Option key while you click on the (Detect Display) button that will appear in Displays preferences (from another display)

so try doing some of those things and see if the display comes alive.

if you get only the 'wallpaper" on the display, all is working as designed, but you may need to adjust the settings to get what you really wanted.

Mar 17, 2023 8:39 AM in response to Faustino1979

the cables 'shipped in the box' are notorious for being inadequate, often "lowest bidder" cables. Charge cables have no high-speed data pathways. They charge fine, but can't support the needed 20 M bits/sec data rates for a display.

You need a USB-C cable rated SuperSpeed+

from the built-in display, with displays preferences open:

hold the Option key while you click on the (Detect Display) button that will appear in Displays preferences

Connecting Dell monitor to Mackbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.