Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hdmi

When I plug in my laptop to my hdmi on my TV it only shows my homescreen and nothing else

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jan 13, 2020 8:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2020 1:48 PM

whitmcdonald Said:

"It doesn't show me mirroring options and reseting it did not work. What else could I do?"

-------

A Few Links:

--

A Couple More Thoughts:

• Try Another HDMI Cable:

Perhaps the HDMI cable is corrupt. If that is the case, contact the manufacturer and see if they would swap it out (or return it to the seller, if that is an option). Next, try another HDMI Cable.

• Try Another Port:

You can plug something else into the port of the TV (i.e. DVD player). See if it runs. If so, its most likely the Mac. If not, plug it into another HDMI port of the TV.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2020 1:48 PM in response to whitmcdonald

whitmcdonald Said:

"It doesn't show me mirroring options and reseting it did not work. What else could I do?"

-------

A Few Links:

--

A Couple More Thoughts:

• Try Another HDMI Cable:

Perhaps the HDMI cable is corrupt. If that is the case, contact the manufacturer and see if they would swap it out (or return it to the seller, if that is an option). Next, try another HDMI Cable.

• Try Another Port:

You can plug something else into the port of the TV (i.e. DVD player). See if it runs. If so, its most likely the Mac. If not, plug it into another HDMI port of the TV.

Jan 13, 2020 9:45 PM in response to whitmcdonald

whitmcdonald Said:

Hdmi: When I plug in my laptop to my hdmi on my TV it only shows my homescreen and nothing else”

———-

Make Sure you Set it Up Correctly:

Go Here: Connect to HDMI from your Mac - Apple Support

Try Using “Mirroring”:

By not Mirroring the external monitor, it is probably only being used for an extension display. So, try “Mirroring” it, seeing if it all works.

Power Trobleshooting:

1. Power Off: the Display
  2. Shut Down: the Mac
  3. Unplug: the HDMI Cable
  4. Plug in: the HDMI Cable
  5. Power On: the Display
  6. Boot Up: the Mac

Reset the SMC and NVRAM:

Sometimes changes take place while your Mac is being used, making it operate not as intended (in this case, detecting the monitor). Use these Links:

Hdmi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.