Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

connecting laptop to tv w hdmi cord

I have tried multiple times on different tvs with different hdmi ports with the same laptop and same adapter port and NEVER has my laptop been able to connect. WHY TELL ME WHY i am unbelievably frustrated to live in such a technologically-advanced world and i cant play cool light videos in my room for dance parties

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 9:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 10:17 PM

alineese Said:

"connecting laptop to tv w hdmi cord: thank u okay so i did all that, and i see nothing other than my laptop info. is there supposed to be a spot where it shows devices it's connected to? what now?: i see what it's supposed to look like with devices connected, under printers i see my printers, but there's nothing in graphics display"

-------

Verify Compatibility:

Go here, and see if this is even an option for you: Connect a display to your Mac - Apple Display. It may not be an option. It all has to do with the Mac model, and if it tis compatible. So, without the correct ports, it may just not work.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2022 10:17 PM in response to alineese

alineese Said:

"connecting laptop to tv w hdmi cord: thank u okay so i did all that, and i see nothing other than my laptop info. is there supposed to be a spot where it shows devices it's connected to? what now?: i see what it's supposed to look like with devices connected, under printers i see my printers, but there's nothing in graphics display"

-------

Verify Compatibility:

Go here, and see if this is even an option for you: Connect a display to your Mac - Apple Display. It may not be an option. It all has to do with the Mac model, and if it tis compatible. So, without the correct ports, it may just not work.

Jan 14, 2022 9:32 PM in response to alineese

alineese Said:

"connecting laptop to tv w hdmi cord: I have tried multiple times on different tvs with different hdmi ports with the same laptop and same adapter port and NEVER has my laptop been able to connect. WHY TELL ME WHY[...]"

-------

Refer to the link provided atop this post.

Confirm the TV's Connection:

First off, see if the TV is even seen: 

1. Hold Down: the Option key
  2. Click: the Apple menu
  3. Choose: System Information or System Report
  4. Select: Graphics/Displays from the list on the left
  5. Look For: your TV

Jan 16, 2022 6:30 PM in response to TheLittles

okay so i did all of that next. under video support it says this:

Video Support

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and:

• One display with 5120-by-2880 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors
  • Up to two displays with 4096-by-2304 resolution at 60Hz at millions of colors
  • Up to two displays with 3840-by-2160 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors

Thunderbolt 3 digital video output

• Native DisplayPort output over USB‑C
  • VGA, HDMI, DVI, and Thunderbolt 2 output supported using adapters (sold separately)

what does this mean in relation to my tv? i see "HDMI" but what am i looking for here that would tell me if it connects to my tv or not?

Jan 16, 2022 7:01 PM in response to alineese

alineese Said:

"connecting laptop to tv w hdmi cord: what does this mean in relation to my tv? i see "HDMI" but what am i looking for here that would tell me if it connects to my tv or not?"

-------

Verify the TV's Specs:

Hardware needs to be compatible in orderer to connect. So, verify all of this. To do so, view the specs of your Television, seeing if it has any of this. So, your next step is to find the model of your television(likely on the Mac of it), and see if it has any of these specifications. Uncertain? Contact the TV's manufacture for more.

connecting laptop to tv w hdmi cord

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.